The Great American Baking Show 12/1/16

Home Forums General Discussions The Great American Baking Show 12/1/16

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

The Great American Baking Show will be on ABC tomorrow night, 12/1/16 at 8:00P. Mary Berry is on the show.

Spread the word
      BevM
      Participant

I saw that advertised a couple of days ago and put it on my "to watch list". It will be interesting to see how it compares to the other versions.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I hope it is an improvement over the version that ran a few years ago, the 'host' tried too hard to be funny rather than let the humor and drama of the show drive itself.

Here's the Variety article on this show.

The 2 hour premier episode is running opposite Project Runway, which is likely to split the audience somewhat. I know which one I'll be watching!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Mike Nolan.
          S_Wirth
          Participant

Sadly, I saw the lady with a big mouth that was a co-host last year on the recent advertisement. She was not an asset on the program last year.

JennC13
            Participant

Thanks for the reminder - I've set my DVR to record it. Maybe that way I can skip through some of the junk and only see the good parts!

BakerAunt
              Participant

I'll be watching while I do my own baking for that Saturday bake sale.

S_Wirth
                Participant

What did you think about the show last night? I missed the last segment, maybe more, as I fell asleep. I have to get up at 4:00A and nearing 10:00P I can barely stay awake.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

It was opposite Project Runway, so I recorded it and hope to watch it this weekend.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I was switching back and forth between the baking show and the BLACKHAWKS. So I saw some and missed some. I didn't think it was a bad show although I'm really not a fan of cooking competition shows, I'd much rather watch the how to shows.

cwcdesign
                      Participant

The Great British Bake Off (or Baking Show on PBS) is my favorite. I'm so disappointed that when it moves from the Bebe to it won't be the same. Anyway, I was able to stream this year's after it aired and I think when it makes it to PBS you will all be very happy with the competition and the contestants.

I'll have to see if Hulu will air the American kne

BakerAunt
                        Participant

It does seem to be more about the food, with none of that silly drama that delights so many "reality" shows. The focus was actually on the cooking. I liked the cake with the vertical layers! As usual, we saw that other people have their times of forgetfulness or flops, as we have talked about our own on this site.

I don't like the strict time limits. I understand that professional bakers need them, but I like to follow a "it is done when it is done" timeline.

RiversideLen
                          Participant

I agree Baker Aunt on the flops and time limits. I baked a cake from a box mix yesterday that flopped, I underbaked it. A waste of effort. As far as the time limits goes, it seems to punish those who attempt a more complex presentation.

Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

I won't comment on the shows themselves, as there are too many opportunities for spoilers.

The time limits are on the short side but are generally reasonable IF YOU ARE WELL-ORGANIZED AND YOU DON"T MAKE ANY MISTAKES! That's a pretty big if, though.

I watched last week's episode last night, I didn't find the hosts excessively intrusive in the show, no more than their British counterparts at least. Mary is still Mary and Johnny Luzzini is well known as a judge on American reality cooking shows and is fine, and not much got past the pair of them.

However, it looks like it did poorly in the ratings, perhaps because it had too much competition for the 'homemaker' market from the well-establshed Project Runway, I'm not sure what else is in that time slot. (NFL football, but the Thursday night games have been awful this year, and I don't see those viewers as likely bakers.)

Daily Mirror Article

S_Wirth
                              Participant

This is the one that tried with all of her might to draw attention to herself in the 2015 series:

Nia Vardalos

She seemed tamed way down on last week's show and actually talked very little.

If the show is on for two hours each week, I doubt I'll be able to stay awake and I like to watch a one hour news program at 9:00P so I can get the weather and fairly local news. I'll try to watch most of the series as I enjoy learning new things.

S_Wirth
                                Participant

Almost time for the show!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.