Scottish Style Scones (Barley)

Home Forums Recipes Scottish Style Scones (Barley)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Scottish Style Scones (Barley)

Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit (May 2004, p. 90), an issue that featured Scotland. The headnote stated that “unlike American scones, the Scottish version isn’t loaded with butter.” The original recipe called for self-rising flour AND 2 tsp. baking powder, which is clearly an error, as the leavening is already included in the flour. My research showed that most self-rising flour is also lower in protein, which produces a more tender scone. I wanted a version that did not call for self-rising flour. I incorporated half barley flour (Bob’s Red Mill) and half AP flour (General Mills) and used buttermilk rather than whole milk, with a bit of baking soda to offset that addition. These scones are closer to what most Americans would consider a biscuit.

1 Cup, plus 2 Tbs. AP flour ¾ cup buttermilk
      1 Cup, plus 2 Tbs. barley flour 1 egg
      1 Tbs. sugar 1 Tbs. canola oil or avocado oil
      2 tsp. baking powder
      1/4 tsp baking soda
      1/8 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 425F, with rack above center. Line a heavy baking sheet with parchment paper.

Whisk together first six ingredients in a bowl for about a minute to distribute the ingredients equally. Measure buttermilk into a deep 1 cup measure, add egg and oil, and whisk until blended.

Gradually add milk mixture to dry ingredients, tossing first with a pastry fork, then moving to a bowl scraper. The dough will be somewhat sticky. Knead in bowl for several turns to bring dough together.

Using bowl scraper, move dough onto a lightly floured surface. (I prefer a piece of parchment, and I used white rye flour, but AP will work.) With lightly floured hands, press to 1-inch thickness. I cut with a circular 2 ¼-inch biscuit cutter, dipped in flour. Move to prepared baking sheet, gather dough scraps, press to 1-inch thickness, and cut out more. I had about eight scones—the last one being smaller and hand-shaped.

Bake until golden on top, about 14 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes on pan.

Note: These scones are delicious warm with butter and/or jam. They can be re-warmed wrapped in waxed paper and microwaved for a short time (time will depend on your microwave), but my husband is happy to eat them cold. (He also is happy to eat English Muffins without toasting, so keep that in mind.)

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.