Rye Blackberry Chia Seed Jam Bars

Home Forums Recipes Rye Blackberry Chia Seed Jam Bars

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Rye Blackberry Chia Seed Jam Bars makes 8 x 8 dish
      Marliss Desens did a major reworking of King Arthur's "Rye Blueberry Bars" that began with eliminating the filling and substituting a berry chia jam that works with both blueberries or de-seeded blackberries. These bars will have a firm crust the first day but will soften in subsequent days.

For filling: about 12 oz. blackberry chia seed jam (see recipe in jam section), prepared at least two or three days in advance of baking. Set out to warm up while preparing the bars.

For crust and topping:
      1 cup King Arthur AP flour
      ½ cup King Arthur medium rye flour
      ½ cup old-fashioned oats
      ½ cup light brown sugar, packed
      ¼ cup powdered confectioners sugar (sift after measuring if there are clumps)
      ½ tsp. salt
      ¼ to ½ tsp. allspice
      ¼ tsp. baking powder
      ¼ tsp. baking soda

1/3 cup avocado oil
      2 Tbs. water

Pre-heat oven to 375 F. Grease an 8 x 8-inch glass baking dish, preferably one with straight sides.

In a 4-quart bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the crust and topping with a pastry fork until well combined. Add oil and water. Toss with pastry fork, switching to a bowl scraper near the end to combine the ingredients thoroughly. Set aside 1 cup of mixture to use as topping. Press the rest into the glass dish, evenly covering the bottom.

Bake the crust for 18-20 minutes until lightly browned. It will not brown as much as a butter crust. Remove the crust from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.

Dollop the Blackberry Chia Seed Jam over the bars and use an offset spatula to spread evenly over the crust, being careful not to get it on the sides of the dish. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs evenly on top.

Return the bars to the oven and bake for about 28 minutes, until the crumbs are browned, and the filling is bubbly around edges. (Again, it will not brown the way crumbs with butter would.)

Cool on rack. These can be cut in the pan, slightly warm or when completely cooled.

What I changed: I replaced 10 Tbs. butter with avocado oil and water. I replaced cardamom with allspice (my husband is not fond of cardamom). I deleted 2 tsp. of vanilla in the crust. As noted, I got rid of the horrible, difficult to make, filling and replaced it with the chia jam.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.