Ron’s Irish Porridge Bread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Ron’s Irish Porridge Bread

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    banneton
    Participant

BakerAunt you have saved many threads from the BC, by any chance did you save the one you had with Dachundlady in reference to the changes you made to Ron's Irish Porridge Bread. I made this bread last week as it was originally posted except I had no Whole Grain Improver, substituted Vital Wheat Gluten and ascorbic acid it is a great bread.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Is this the recipe you're looking at:

Ron's Irish Porridge Bread

According to KAF, the ingredients in their Whole-Grain Bread Improver are:
        vital wheat gluten, low fat soy flour, inactive yeast and ascorbic acid.

I'm not sure what the inactive yeast is there for, flavor I guess. I wonder if brewer's yeast would accomplish the same thing?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        • This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

Banneton: I'm sorry. I don't recall baking this recipe. Maybe if Dachshundlady checks in, she will have some notes about it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
          cwcdesign
          Participant

Banneton, I can't remember if I made this one, but I did make Mrs Cindy's Irish Oatmeal Bread - similar recipes. I saved the thread on her bread and on dachshundlady's Cooking with Oatmeal. Mrs Cindy said using Vital Wheat Gluten was just fineifyou didn't have the KAF Whole Grain Stuff.

I saved the threads as PDFs and started reading the one - that's how I found out about the VWG. I discovered that I saved them back to front as I had it set up so I could read the newest comments first. Not sure yet how I'm going to edit and condense them for posting here, but I can try to find answers if you need them
            Carol

banneton
            Participant

Yes Mike that is the recipe I looked at. Thanks for the suggestion.

BakerAunt I must be mistaken, thought you made this with changes.

Carol,if you come across the info. in the future please post it, just know the original is great as written also. I will look at Mrs.Cindy's Irish Oatmeal too.
              Thank you all.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Banneton: While looking at Randy's blog, I came across the following discussion on Ron's Irish Porridge Bread. It may give you what you need, so I will copy it here:

1 – 12 of 12
                Blogger dachshundlady said...
                Tonight I will enjoy this oatmeal bread with French Canadian Yellow Pea soup. Though a humble meal, a millionaire could not sit down to a better one.

October 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Blogger kathyfromkansas said...
                DLady, I have been looking at that recipe so thanks for letting us know you think it is great. I have a question though, do you just make the "porridge" as if you were going to eat it and use 2 cups of that or do you do something different? I have steel cut oats so today might be the day. Thanks

October 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM

For the porridge bread, I cook it as I normally would but I make enough to use 2 cups in the bread and 2 cups for the freezer for my next batch. I even bought potato flour this week on swirth's recommendation.

October 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM

Blogger Ria said...
                I made this bread today. I halved it and put raisins, cranberries and pecans in 1 half. Left the other half plain. After rising I made 2 balls out of each half and put them next to each other in the pan. Next time I will put 1/2 raisin and 1/2 plain in the same pan. That would be a fun loaf to give away. Ria.

October 22, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Gee, I never thought of adding raisins to the oatmeal bread. Bet it makes great toast.

October 23, 2011 at 7:19 AM

Blogger Ria said...
                Just had it this morning. It tastes sooo good. But not toasted yet. Just put some butter on it. It was really nice.

October 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM

So glad you are enjoying it. My future DIL had a piece this morning, as is with no butter and just loved it. She also was nuts about my applesauce bars with penuche icing. Can't remember if I posted it here or over @ KAF.

October 23, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Blogger kathyfromkansas said...
                Finally got around to making this bread DLady and it is the best Oatmeal Bread I have ever made. My loaves didn't look as good as yours but it was still great. This bread keeps well too! Thanks.

October 31, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Having someone love a recipe you gave them is like buying them just the right gift. But better.

October 31, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Blogger buttercup said...
                DL I made this bread a few days ago. I think I might have made the dough to wet or maybe did not bake it long enough. It was a bit to moist. The side crust was very pale as was the bottom. Do you know what the internal temperature of this type of bread should be? I also dropped one of the bread pans taking it out of the oven, watched it skid across the floor and turn into a pancake as it fell out of the pan. One loaf for us and one for the birds. lol DH said he thought that was the best sandwich bread so far Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

January 8, 2012 at 9:36 AM

I usually shoot for almost 200F for most of my breads. I would rather be safe than sorry. I also bake my breads (and pies) on the lower middle shelf. Can't stand a pale bottom on either (just remember the old Coppertone ads!).

January 9, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Blogger buttercup said...
                Thank you DL, I will try it again, bake it longer, and TRY not to drop one on the floor. lol

January 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM

banneton
                Participant

BakerAunt,

This was an interesting and helpful discussion, thanks for posting it all here. The recipe is simple, not too many changes are necessary.
                  Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.