Original Chewy Nut Bars (by unknown Baking Circle Poster)

Home Forums Recipes Original Chewy Nut Bars (by unknown Baking Circle Poster)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I'm transcribing a recipe from the Baking Circle that did not make it to Nebraska Kitchen when about three-quarters of the recipes were moved here. The story with it is a good example of the sharing that bakers did at that location--and continue to do here at Nebraska Kitchen. I do not have a name for the poster, who was not active on the site but had asked for help finding a recipe Here is what the poster wrote:

"Several years [ago] I inquired about a recipe from at least the 1950's for my mum's Chewy Nut Bars. The KAF community helpfully provided me a multitude of recipes but, alas, nothing was close. Recently I FOUND it amongst my mum's papers. I have no idea of the recipe's provenance and would love to give credit if anyone can [for this?] quick, tasty, bar with ingredients from the pantry."

Chewy Nut Bars

2 Tbs. salted butter
      2 eggs, stirred
      1 cup brown sugar (I used dark)
      5 Tbsp. AP flour
      1/8 tsp. baking soda
      1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
      1 tsp. vanilla

Note: If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the butter as well as the batter.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place butter in 8x8" square pan and allow to melt in the oven.

Mix all other ingredients in a bowl. Pour over the melted butter

Bake at 350F for 20-25 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took 18 minutes.

Run a knife around the edge and invert onto serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar. Allow to cool. May add more powdered sugar before serving.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.