Original Chewy Nut Bars (by unknown Baking Circle Poster)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I’m transcribing a recipe from the Baking Circle that did not make it to Nebraska Kitchen when about three-quarters of the recipes were moved here. The story with it is a good example of the sharing that bakers did at that location–and continue to do here at Nebraska Kitchen. I do not have a name for the poster, who was not active on the site but had asked for help finding a recipe Here is what the poster wrote:

“Several years [ago] I inquired about a recipe from at least the 1950’s for my mum’s Chewy Nut Bars. The KAF community helpfully provided me a multitude of recipes but, alas, nothing was close. Recently I FOUND it amongst my mum’s papers. I have no idea of the recipe’s provenance and would love to give credit if anyone can [for this?] quick, tasty, bar with ingredients from the pantry.”

Chewy Nut Bars

2 Tbs. salted butter
    2 eggs, stirred
    1 cup brown sugar (I used dark)
    5 Tbsp. AP flour
    1/8 tsp. baking soda
    1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
    1 tsp. vanilla

Note: If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the butter as well as the batter.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place butter in 8×8″ square pan and allow to melt in the oven.

Mix all other ingredients in a bowl. Pour over the melted butter

Bake at 350F for 20-25 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Mine took 18 minutes.

Run a knife around the edge and invert onto serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar. Allow to cool. May add more powdered sugar before serving.

Spread the word
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •  
    •   
    •  
    •  
    •  
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.