Home Forums Recipes Oil Crust for Double Crust Pie by jej

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    S_Wirth
    Participant

Oil Crust for Double Crust Pie

Submitted by: jej
      Last Updated: 4/7/2010

Double 9- or 10-in. crust. Use half for single crust.

Originally this recipe came from a lady in my church. She judged baking contests, etc., and her pies were to die for. Then I found this identical recipe in the Pillsbury Family Cookbook. I've actually made the recipe one and one-half TIMES the original recipe. I usually get another crust from it, unless I'm using one of my 10-inch pie plate.

3 c. all-purpose flour (measure lightly into cup, or weigh: 1c = 4 1/4 oz.)
      1/2 to 1 t. salt (optional: I omit for a 'salt-less' family member)

Whisk flour and salt thoroughly in large bowl. Make a well in center of flour.

3/4 c. cooking oil (I like canola. Half corn-half canola works well, too.)
      1/4 c. + 2 T. [or 6 T.] cold/ice water (or milk)

Measure oil and water into large measuring cup (2 c. size works well, but a small bowl would suit this step, also). Beat rapidly with fork until thick. Pour into flour well, stirring 6-8 times with fork, until just mixed. With rubber spatula, quickly bring "crumbs" in bowl together into ball.

Divide pastry ball "off center," rolling larger amount first for bottom crust. Roll to 1/8-inch thickness (or slightly less) BETWEEN two sheets of plastic wrap (for tenderness and ease of placing into pie plate). Sometimes I sprinkle a very little flour over the plastic, and then a little over the ball before placing the top piece of plastic. (The new wider 14-inch wrap is easier for rolling a large 9- or 10-inch crust. Can't find 14-in. now, so use two sheets to make up the extra width.)

I sprinkle just a little flour into the pie plate. To do this, dip 4 fingers into the flour, then flick the flour from them, setting them on your thumb and then quickly pushing and straightening them out. The flour will be in little bitty 'drops' in the pie plate. (It's like I used to sprinkle clothes before ironing, if that is any help. 😉

Remove top plastic, invert crust (still on the bottom plastic) over lightly-floured pie plate. Then 'position it' into pan, easing the crust in without stretching it -- before gently removing bottom sheet of plastic. (Please read #5, below, for the complete instructions for this procedure before doing it.)

Trim edges of crust (kitchen shears work well) close to rim of plate for a double crust. Moisten top of crust edge with water. Roll top crust (I combine the scraps from trimming with the remainder for top crust); remove top plastic and make slits for steam to escape with knife.

Fill bottom crust with your favorite filling, and check to see that edges of crust are still slightly moist. Invert and position top crust over pie, pressing gently but well on edges to "seal" crusts. Remove plastic wrap, trim top crust edge to about 1 centimeter or half-inch, and tuck under top edge. Flute, or crimp, edge with your favorite design.

Bake immediately at temperature for kind of pie. Try to have bottom of pie close to the heat source, if possible.

A few more tips:

1. Prepare filling first? Why? The oil tends to "settle out" of the crust slightly (like water seeking its own level) if it sits in a ball for a while. It's not a terrible thing, but I figure the oil belongs in the crust, not left in the bowl. That's why I work quickly throughout. A BONUS here is that it all gets done in a hurry, and doesn't take all day.

2. Using plastic to roll out the crust makes it easier for me to move the crust around during the rolling, when making the slits, and for putting it into the crust. And of course, clean-up is a snap!

(If the "new 14-inch" is no longer available where you shop -- I am no longer finding it; Reynolds then had an 18-inch available --but no longer. Also, two sheets of the 12-inch can be overlapped to get the width needed. That is what I've been having to do recently. And of course that needs to be done for the bottom plastic AND for the top.) I don't like to have to do it, so it's now the first thing done. ;)))

3. Dust the pie plate very lightly with flour; if the crust doesn't go in perfectly the first time, it lifts off the dusted plate a little more easily. The very light dusting of flour will be absorbed into the crust with no noticeable effect or residue.

4. A very light sprinkling of flour on the plastic seems to often increase the ease of rolling out the pastry. I also like to flatten the ball of pastry to about a 5-inch circle before placing it on the lightly-floured plastic, then dusting it with a touch of flour before placing the top sheet of plastic over it. Also, I occasionally flip the whole thing over while rolling it out, so the far edge is then close to me for rolling a better circle. (It's very easy to flip with the plastic on both sides!)

5. To place crust in pie plate: With top plastic removed, set pie plate close to one side of the crust. Picking up edges of plastic at front and back of counter, lift the crust so it will have a fold at center and the edges hang down evenly. Bring the crust slowly over the pie plate, and lower it so at least half an inch hangs over edges of plate. Ease the crust over and into the plate, with the 'fold' at the center of the pie plate. (Practice helps with eye-balling this step--) Ease the remaining crust over the rest of the pie plate. Make sure not stretch the crust or it will shrink. Where there are folds or gathers at the sides and edge of the pie plate, ease the crust together to make it as flat as to the pan as possible.

6. Before moving the top crust onto the pie, the perfectionist may wish to replace the plastic after making the slits, then flip the top crust over before placing it over the filling. It will be in the same position as when the slit was made, which may make a slight difference in the appearance of the slits. (Then remove the plastic after centering the crust onto the pie.)

7. A slight sprinkling of sugar enhances appearance of baked crust. Some cooks like to brush with milk before sprinkling the sugar over.

8. A ring of aluminum foil placed over the edge of crust for first 20-25 min. during baking will keep the edge of the crust from getting too dark. Then after that 20-25 min., off comes the foil, so the rim of crust can take on a nice color as the pie finishes baking. (If need be, the foil can go on again.)

9. Baking as close to heat as possible on the lower shelf helps prevent a soggy lower crust. Starting baking at higher temperature, then lowering, helps also.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.