Noma shutting down

Home Forums Restaurants and Books, news and reviews Noma shutting down

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

There are some interesting interviews coming out about Rene Redzepi shutting down his world-famous restaurant Noma (in Copenhagen) next year. A pastry chef who worked for them said that Rene really didn't like sweet desserts but wanted ones that were 'craveable' and also used locally sourced products. Not sure I'd want to eat ants, though.

David Zilber, who ran their fermentation lab for several years and co-authored the Noma Guide to Fermentation, was kind enough to answer several fermentation questions I asked him on Instagram.

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

No ants for me either.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I can see why that restaurant concept would not be sustainable. I find it hard to keep up when I'm baking my own crackers and making my own yogurt! Some of the sourcing extended, I read, to the pottery bowls used.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

In many high-end restaurants the number of staff working in the kitchen exceeds the number of customers served. Noma is about $500-$900 per person, plus wines.

Their focus on locally sourced items and is probably less of a factor in the decision to shut down than the cost of running the kitchen for a restaurant that seats less than 50.

I've only eaten in two or three restaurants that had Michelin stars, they were all great meals but not something I could do very often.

BakerAunt
            Participant
            Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.