Measuring Pie Dough Thickness

Home Forums General Discussions Measuring Pie Dough Thickness

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

How do you mea­sure the thick­ness of pie dough?

[See the full post at: Measuring Pie Dough Thickness]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Interesting post, Mike. I roll most of my pie crusts (now oil not butter, sigh) to 1/8th inch thick, which seems to work well with fruit pies and my pumpkin pie. I use a set of wooden wands, which also come in handy for rolling out cracker dough. The rings on the end of rolling pins only work if it is a long pin or if rolling a rectangle.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

The rolling pin I use the most is 20 inches long and 2 inches in diameter, with no handles. I have another than is 19 inches long and 1.75 inches in diameter. I've got an even smaller diameter one, basically just a dowel, that I use for things like making a fendu.

Some years back I took an evening class in making dim sum (dumplings), we used a small rolling pin that was only about 6 inches long and less than an inch in diameter.

I've looked for the wooden pastry wands, but nobody seems to have them any more.

BakerAunt
          Participant

My rolling pin collection is stored in a wooden wine holder ($2 at local thrift shop), but I mostly use a long one that came with the dobard (spelling?) that I bought from KAF, which didn't work all that well. It is a wooden square with ends that screw around the frame. It allows for opening it up and moving the interior the correct thickness; the rim are where one rolls. However, it was not really large enough for deep dish pie crust, and not so useful for cookie dough because of the small area. It sits unused, but the pin, 20 1/4 inches long and 1-inch wide is a prized, because very useful, possession.

I have a small pin that came with a ravioli pan. I've never used the pan, but that little pin is great for rolling out flatbreads.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I also use a wine rack for storing rolling pins, one I bought at Ikea. When I was in Pittsburgh a year ago I found a 22x22 plastic mat for rolling out pizzas, it has circles up to 20 inches in diameter. I just leave it on the counter in the baking area these days. I wipe it clean before and after each use.

BakerAunt
              Participant

Mike--I got the wine rack as rolling pin storage idea from you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.