Marianne’ Four-Bean Salad

Home Forums Recipes Marianne’ Four-Bean Salad

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My college roommate created a version of Four-Bean Salad from a recipe in a Betty Crocker Cookbook. I will start with her original recipe, then include my current way of making it.

Marianne's Four-Bean Salad

1 (1 pound) can cut green beans
      1 (1-pound) can cut waxed beans
      1 (1-pound) can garbanzo beans
      1 (1-pound) can dark red kidney beans
      1/2-1 cup chopped onion

1/2 cup sugar
      2/3 cup cider vinegar
      1/3 cup canola oil
      1/2 tsp. salt 2 tsp. whole celery seed

Drain and rinse beans, then drain again. Combine beans and chopped onion in large bowl. In small bowl, whisk together sugar, cider vinegar, canola oil, salt, and celery seed. Pour over beans and toss lightly. Chill overnight. (If making in the morning for evening use, you can stir it occasionally.) Toss before serving.

Forty years later, I gave the recipe a bit of a makeover. I don't specify a size for the cans of beans because we all know that no can now contains as much as it once did.

Revised Marianne's Four-Bean Salad

1 can cut green beans (no-salt added, preferred)
      1 can cut waxed beans (These are hard to find, and I've never seen them as no-salt or reduced salt.)
      1 can cut garbanzo beans (reduced sodium preferred)
      1 can dark red kidney beans (reduced sodium preferred)
      1/2 cup chopped onion

1/3 cup sugar
      1/2 cup cider vinegar
      1/4 cup canola oil

2 tsp. whole celery seed

Drain Beans. Rinse any that include salt or reduced salt to remove some of it. Drain. Combine beans and onion in large bowl. Sprinkle whole celery seed on top. In small bowl, whisk together sugar, cider vinegar, and canola oil. Pour over bean mixture and lightly toss. Refrigerate overnight, or if making during the day for dinner, stir occasionally. Toss before serving.

Note: If you prefer less of a vinegar taste, then cut back the apple cider vinegar a bit more.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.