King Arthur’s Big Book of Bread

Home Forums Restaurants and Books, news and reviews King Arthur’s Big Book of Bread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I've noticed that King Arthur has a new bread book for $45. The pre-publication reviews on the Barnes and Noble website are from various bread cookbook authors, none of whose books I own. Has anyone had the chance to page through a physical copy of the new book? If so, what was your assessment?

I have so many baking books that I am dubious that I need another one.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I know of several of the authors and have been in forums with a couple of them, but that's not much of a recommendation. My guess is this is not a book I need, certainly not when I'm almost never baking with wheat products. However, their books are usually helpful, informative and have recipes that work, something I cannot say about a few cookbooks I own. Several online bookstores have a pre-publication price of $27, FWIW.

rottiedogs
        Participant

I preordered on Amazon. You can see a few pages there and it looked interesting. I most likely do not actually need it but KAF books are always informative like Mike said. I do have a book by Nancy Silverton - La Brea Bakery. I've made a few things from it and will again. Claire Saffritz is a NY Times food writer. I subscribe to the recipes only and I have several of her recipes saved to try. I recognize Ken Forkish but I don't remember why right this second. The rest I do not but the two I did was enough to push it to the go ahead and order it list. I will share impressions and what I'm going to try first.

BakerAunt
          Participant

What concerns me is whether the book focuses mostly on regular flour rather than wholegrain flours, which I prefer.

I will look at it on Amazon. I can get a good deal at Barnes and Noble, but I have to move quickly on that one, as it would soon expire.

I'm also feeling guilty about not using my shelf of bread books more than I do. Maybe it is time to set up a challenge for myself to bake new breads, particularly with the weather about to turn cooler.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I have two of Claire Saffitz's books and I really enjoy them. Will and I have made several of her recipes. We like her foccacia, but haven't quite nailed down the rise.

chocomouse
              Participant

BakerAunt, I'm sitting here looking at 8 bread books. I do have a couple of favorite recipes among them, but I seem to always grab a printed sheet of my reliable favorites. I guess that's OK -- I know the recipe works, some with my comments/changes, and I can count on having delicious bread. I'm much more apt to try new and different main dishes, sides, salads.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.