It Would Have Been the Perfect Pie.…

Home Forums Baking — Desserts It Would Have Been the Perfect Pie.…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Yesterday, I made pie with the last of our fresh-picked blueberries. I had the perfect crust (Buttermilk Pie Crust in the KAF Anniversary Cookbook). The pie went together beautifully, with a lovely crimped edge, and little cut out leaves on top--with the cut-out leaves decoratively arranged. I used one of Land of Lakes mini-moos (stabilized half and half in single servings) to brush it before sprinkling with sugar. I put it in the oven, so very pleased with myself.

Two minutes later, I found the ground tapioca still in the grinder.

The pie tastes great, and the crust held up to the soupy filling. I can only dream of what might have been, but we are eating it happily because in the end taste is more important than appearance when it comes to dessert.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Oh, I hate it when I discover I've left a key ingredient out after it's too late to do anything about it.

I left the corn syrup out of a pecan pie once, I figured it out after I had spent several minutes carefully placing whole pecans on the surface of the pie in nice pattern. So I scraped out everything into a bowl, added the corn syrup, and put it all back in the pie plate, though I didn't bother trying to arrange the pecans in a pretty pattern the second time around. Aside from me, I doubt anyone noticed.

I once made a batch of cinnamon rolls and my wife discovered the next day that the milk I had scalded to go in the dough was still in the microwave! That batch of cinnamon rolls didn't rise quite as much as some, probably because the dough was on the dry side. Tasted OK, though.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I seem to be on a roll. On Friday I left a tsp. of vanilla out of the KAF Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread. It is still good, and I'm not sure that the vanilla makes that much difference, since the recipe uses honey, brown sugar, and cinnamon, as well as chocolate chips. I always thought that KAF had a vanilla obsession, and I could not figure out why they put it in some items (cannot recall which right now) that didn't seem to need it.

luvpyrpom
          Participant

Well, it always happens with me when I'm under pressure or something. I had promised a close friend that I would make her favorite cake for her birthday on Wednesday. Last year I had made the Fresh Coconut cake that was posted on the old BC thread. So I thought I would make it again but in cupcake form. Had scooped all the batter into the cupcake pans. Then I saw the two egg whites sitting nearby - totally forgot to whip the egg whites and add into the batter. Good thing I have extra ingredients to make again.

Second time I remembered the egg whites and I actually found the right scoop to use to fill the cupcakes. The first scoop was too big so the initial batch came out all blown out of proportions. Will definitely make notes on the recipe so I can remember what I did next time.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I've started keeping a baking a cooking log on the computer. It not only helps me with remembering what I did for the "What Did I Bake," and "Cook Anything Interesting" threads, but I include additional notes about recipe changes--what worked and what didn't. When a change becomes permanent, I write it into the recipe.

It's my low-tech solution to what kaf-sub-rius used to do with excel spread sheets. I do miss him and all our other baking friends from the closed Baking Circle. I also found, and continue to find, the BC threads useful for recalling suggestions from others and what I'd done. Others may use them the same way. Mrs. Cindy was very pleased that her "In Search of the True Southern Biscuit" is on this site now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.