Is King Arthur thinking of having some kind of member forum again?

Home Forums General Discussions Is King Arthur thinking of having some kind of member forum again?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

At the tail end of this post from PJ Hamel, there's a question about whether readers would be interested in a recipe-based discussion forum of some kind.

See https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/blog/2021/12/23/king-arthur-top-recipes-past-25-years?page=0

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I put myself down as a yes. However, I am not sure that I would trust KABC not to shut it down again.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I also said yes, but asked whether they still have the thousands of recipes from previous forums that could be reposted.

chocomouse
          Participant

I said yes, but . . .    I don't trust them, and I'm still angry they took our recipes away from us.

Right now, they are having a 60% off sale on some items. They don't say whether it is an on-line or in-store sale. As far as I remember, they ALWAYS state those sales are on-line orders only. So I emailed them to ask. I got an evasive response, that did not answer my question. So, I emailed back, asking them to please answer my question. They did. I responded suggesting they should clarify that information in their advertising, as they always have in the past.  It is very misleading.  In my opinion, King Arthur is no longer King.

Denise
            Participant

I said yes but I agree with you Chocomouse, I don't trust them and they are not the company they used to be... It will be interesting to see where they go with this.

Mike, I don't know if you are watching the comments on the King Arthur blog post, but MaryJane responded to your request today regarding the old recipes. She mentioned that there were links in the comments to other sites where they were archived. The funny thing is that the only link I saw was from BakerAunt - pointing to this site. So she pretty much referred you back to your own website! 🙂

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Less than half of the recipes that were on the BC (version 2) got posted here. Zen supposedly had the rest, but I could never get her to send me the file, and I'm not sure how to even reach her these days. But there were a lot of recipes buried in the discussion text for both versions of the BC that didn't get saved.

I hadn't checked the King Arthur blog site today, but it sounds like they didn't archive all those recipes. (I've been in IT for over 40 years, failure to keep good backups that can survive technology advances is a common problem.)

I did spend a few hours looking at one of the plugins for recipes, I've decided against using that one, but there are still a few others I plan to evaluate as I have time.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Well, we have heard no more about KABC bringing back any form of the Baking Circle. I also have noticed that when I go to a recipe at the KABC site now, the written reviews are no longer accessible. That is disappointing, as other bakers' experiences often alert me to issues that may arise BEFORE I try the recipe.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I'm just back from a week in Maine and haven't looked at the KABC site for a while. But I will also be very disappointed if other bakers' comment are no longer visible. Why not post them? Like BakerAunt, I want to see issues others might have had (I realize most of the problems are "baker error", not the fault of KABC recipe developers!) and also suggestions for variations of the original recipe.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I just looked at several 'bakes of the week', including a recent one, and they all had comments, though you have to scroll down a lot to find them, below a block of ads.

Joan Simpson
                      Participant

BakerAunt I can see the reviews on the recipes,I hope they don't do away with that because I always research before baking too.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

For some reason, the reviews are not showing up when I go to the recipes. If I click on "reviews," I still do not get them. I had tried to review those for "Rustic Sourdough Bread," but nothing came up for me. That happened with other recipes as well.

I don't know if it is worth it to contact King Arthur, as this appears to be a technical issue.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I see 670 reviews/comments on the Rustic Sourdough Bread, sounds like an issue with your computer, try clearing the cache/temporary files in your browser.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Thanks, Mike. That does not seem to have helped. I will have my stepson look at it and see if I did it correctly. I recently installed a new malware product after a malware attack that went right past Norton and the minimal Edge defender. Since doing so, I note that ads are getting blocked, which does not bother me, but I wonder if it interprets the comments on the recipes as ads.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.