Induction burners and pans

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Induction burners and pans

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

We've had a standalone induction burner for quite a while, we got it at Sams Club, it came with 3 induction-ready pans. It will go up to 1500 watts in several steps, but I wish it went higher and had more increments, it seems like a lot of the things I'd like to do on it (without monitoring it constantly) are in between the available increments.

If our electric cooktop ever fails (it is 25 years old, after all), I'd be tempted to replace it with an induction cooktop, though we'd have to replace a number of pans that are mostly used on the cooktop. I've also looked at commercial sized standalone units, which can require either a dedicated outlet or 220V. If I was redesigning the house, I'd make space for that in the basement kitchenette instead of the two-burner electric cooktop we put in there, but induction burners were still pretty rare in 1996.

As to the question about porcelain lined cast iron pots, they usually aren't lined on the bottom so they should work. The usual rule of thumb is that if a magnet will stick to the bottom of the pan, it is induction-ready.

I've used my 5 quart porcelain lined Dutch oven on the induction burner a few times. Most induction-ready pans have a plate at the bottom and stainless steel sides, which seems to keep the sides from getting quite as hot as a cast iron pan will.

Spread the word
      cwcdesign
      Participant

My new induction stove is in storage still because my contractor hasn’t gotten the firewall in yet - I thought it was going to happen last month.

Anyway, I was reading about pans for it and thought my flat bottomed Cuisinart pans were going to be fine. I did the magnet test and nope, they do not, nor do our non-stick sauté pans. often the stainless steel pans have an aluminum care. So I started researching best pans for induction - some were very expensive, some were not. Since I loved my Cuisinart pans for 40 years, I went with what I think is a good deal from Williams-Sonoma - a 17-piece set with glass lids for $268. The lids count as pieces - I had 16 pieces and was missing a steamer insert. The magnet works perfectly!

BakerAunt
        Participant

Re: Contractors. This one is for you CWCdesign:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/comics/rhymes-with-orange-by-hilary-price/ss-AA124sMY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=6bac907df4df4037a8362fd3ac861b39#image=1

We are STILL trying to get the renovations finished on our garage apartment/Annex that started over a year ago. While the interior just has a few minor jobs, the exterior is dragging, as we only get the contractors a couple of times per month.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I can't get a roofer to call me back, either.

cwcdesign
            Participant

I like that BA. But my contractor and I talk relatively often - I try not to bug him - he is having trouble finding workers too, I know he will be here soon. I had to get the name of a plumber from him and he got right back to me - I purposely did not mention the windows. Called the plumber Friday, asked if he could come on Tuesday and he was here first thing. A problem with the toilet that I could have done but missed. At least he knew why I missed it.

Being in hospitality, we are short handed company wide - and a lot of the guests can’t seem to understand why hours of restaurants have to be adjusted, or services might not always be there, even for a high end resort. The staff that is working works really hard and management/ownership have decided to take care of staff by increasing wages, making sure they have a better work/home balance and a bunch of other steps. They finally realized that if they didn’t take care of their team first, they weren’t going to have one.

Our little market is very fortunate as we are fully staffed right now with a good team that works hard and looks after each other.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.