Hudson Cream AP Flour, Bleached

Home Forums General Discussions Hudson Cream AP Flour, Bleached

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

My local grocery has started stocking Hudson Cream AP Flour (bleached). It is produced by the The Stafford County Flour Mills Co., located in Hudson, Kansas. I found a 2 pound bag at Big Lots for $1.00 (well 80 cents, since it was a 20% off discount weekend) and bought it to try. I'm thinking that it might work well for shortbread.

Has anyone used this brand of flour before?

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Check the expiration date carefully. The problem I have with buying foodstuffs from BigLots is that they buy surplus inventory from other companies, so it may be towards the end of its shelf life. You also don't know how it has been handled. (Of course you don't really know that with stuff you buy at the grocery store, either.)

I've used Hudson Cream unbleached flour, it's a decent patent flour. I've not used their bleached flour, but I don't use a lot of bleached flour anyway.

Did someone save Cass's thread on when to use unbleached flour?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

The expiration date is December 2017. The grocery store only had 5 pound bags for around $4.18, so a smaller bag, at lower price, seemed a good trial option.

Cass may discuss bleached flour in the cake lesson thread that I posted. Actually, I combined four related threads into that one, so I'll have to look through it and see.

I did find on my flashdrive a discussion of cake flour (when KAF discontinued selling Queen G. flour to the public), and I've posted it.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I didn't see Cass's comments about bleached flour in the cake/kate flour thread. I remember him talking about recipes that have fat in them, like cookies.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Yes, I remember that too, but I don't think I have it. Let's hope that Rottiedogs snagged it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I was at a grocery store here in Lincoln NE that I don't normally shop at today, and they have White Lily AP flour. I haven't seen that outside of the South before, I wonder if they're expanding their market?

rottiedogs
                Participant

I think I found what you were looking for. Kidpizza talks about bleached flour and fats in the Imput needed please! white cake thread which I posted.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.