Green area on sweet corn

Home Forums General Discussions Green area on sweet corn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

One of the ears of sweet corn tonight had some green areas towards one end. I cut that section off, but here's a close-up shot of it. It doesn't look like corn smut or rust or any of the other fungal diseases, it really doesn't look like a virus, it is green and has almost a leaf-like appearance.

I've also sent this photo to Diane to see if one of the professors at UNL can identify it, but anybody ever seen this before? Is it just something that didn't mature correctly?

corn-green

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      kimbob
      Participant

Corn kernel sprouting. Google it.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My husband says it is a genetic aberration that allowed the leaf at each female flower to develop instead of being suppressed. While it wouldn't hurt to eat it, corn leaves do not taste good, so cutting it off was the way to go.

navlys
          Participant

I guess females can't be suppressed for ever! At least in the corn world!

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Thanks for the report, BA. I've been buying and eating sweet corn for a long time, first time I've seen that oddity.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Two more of the ears of corn in this batch had those weird green leafy areas. But now we're out of sweet corn though I will probably get more at the Farmers market on Sunday.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Good one, Navlys!

Mike--my husband says that he has seen that aberration before, but rarely.

Our local sweet corn should be available any day now. However, this Saturday morning, we are having a thunderstorm with lots of rain.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

It's 101 here today, supposed to be a lot cooler tomorrow, possibly with some rain, then it gets warmer again.

In addition to the high heat, it is pretty windy, Accuweather shows gusts in the high 20's but we had one a few minutes ago (coming from the east based on the way the trees were bent) that was strong enough it rattled windows.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.