Friday is National Donut Day

Home Forums General Discussions Friday is National Donut Day

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

No doughnuts here today either.

Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

We did go to LaMars this morning for our free donuts, but we also bought a dozen of them, most of which went in the freezer. (They freeze very well.)

Italiancook
        Participant

RiversideLen, I had seen that grinder when I was on Amazon looking. I didn't pay any attention to it, because it didn't look like what Mike had described. I'll probably end up buying it. Thanks!

Thanks to you, too, Mike for the picture.

Like BakerAunt, I now use my Micrcoplane rasp grater for nutmeg. The way I measure the nutmeg is by where I buy it. McCormick's . . . their rep told me that 1 whole nut is about 1 teaspoon grated. So if I want half a teaspoon, I grate approximately half of one piece of nutmeg. I've never been disappointed in this "measuring tool."

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

The USDA's database says that a teaspoon of ground nutmeg is 2.2 grams and a tablespoon is 7 grams. (Yeah, that doesn't add up.)

I weighed several whole nutmegs on my microscale (1/10 gram increments) and they ranged from 2.2 grams to 4.7 grams.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I agree with Mike: nutmegs vary in size. I don't think that I've ever used a whole nutmeg in a recipe, even for 1 tsp. of grated nutmeg.

I once read that as long as there is one whole nutmeg in the house, a marriage will be a happy one.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Nutmeg used to be used as a meat preservative, if you look at recipes from colonial days they would grund up 2 or 3 nutmegs to preserve a few pounds of beef. (And nutmeg wasn't a cheap spice then, either.)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.