First harvest from our Aerogarden

Home Forums Gardening First harvest from our Aerogarden

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My older son sent me an early Christmas present, an AeroGarden Farm (24 pod) system.

We set it up after Thanksgiving and the first set of plants we put in was their 'herb' kit, which is actually a mixture of herbs and lettuces. 11 of 12 sprouted. (A black seeded Simpson lettuce did not, we'll ask for a replacement next week, they'll replace any of the pods from their kits that don't sprout in 21 days.)

Less than 3 weeks into the first garden, we had our first salads from it at supper today, they were very good. The left garden has one of their 7-pod Romaine kits plus 5 do-it-yourself pods with buttercrunch lettuce. It's been in a little over a week, all the romaine plants are up and several of the buttercrunch, which has a long germination time. We should be harvesting from it early in the new year.

Here's a picture of what it looked like before today's harvest, I suspect we'll be harvesting from it every 2-3 days for at least a month, probably several months.

lettuce1

Spread the word
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      chocomouse
      Participant

That's funny, Mike! We harvested our first lettuces from our Aerogarden for dinner tonight also! I cut just the larger leaves, as I do the lettuce in my summer gardens, so it will continue to produce. The lettuce, spinach, and scallion seeds I planted under Gro-lights a few days after I started the Aerogarden plugs are growing much more slowly. I think maybe I should be fertilizing (diluted)them a lot more.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I'm going to give our grow lights another trial some time next year, I don't think we used the right type of potting soil. We also didn't fertilize it and probably didn't water it enough, either. We did get several tomato plants that were big enough that we took them outside to get natural sunlight for a week or two before we transplanted them into the garden, but I think the tomato plants that bore the most fruit for us this year were from plants we bought from nurseries.

I wish I could find the older First Lady tomato plants, the First Lady II seeds that are their replacement have never impressed me like the First Lady plants we used to get from a local nurseryman who, sadly, passed away a few years ago. Those bore fruit like no tomato I've ever grown, but it was also a great year for tomatoes and the last few have not been for this area of the state, even the pros were having yield issues.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.