Dietary Restrictions Cartoon

Home Forums Baking — Other Limitations Dietary Restrictions Cartoon

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I thought that this Pearls Before Swine cartoon perfectly captured how many of us feel when facing high cholesterol or high blood pressure:

https://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2023/01/11

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Boy, isn't that the truth!

I know someone whose doctor prescribed a very strict diet. He followed it for a year then said, "It doesn't make you live longer, it only makes it feel like you've been living longer.", and he lived into his late 80's on a more relaxed diet.

BakerAunt
        Participant

My doctor did not even mention diet and wanted to go straight to statins. After nearly four years of trying on my own to do it with diet and exercise, I faced the truth that I could not lower it more than 25 points, which was not enough. I still follow the way of eating that I worked out for myself so that I can take a lower dose. While my husband missed the chocolate chip cookies (as do I), he was pleased to have his best numbers yet.

Most health sites start off by saying that toast with cinnamon can substitute for a cinnamon roll, or that a piece of fruit makes a satisfying dessert. Get real. Nutritionists who develop recipes focus on the "health" and rarely have the culinary experience to turn out a recipe that tastes satisfying.

I am not pleased with having to eliminate some recipes that I really liked--and that makes holidays, particularly Christmas, challenging. I miss sugar cookies and being able to use my vast collection of cookie cutters.

I have been able to adapt certain recipes, and I actually prefer my oil-buttermilk crust to the butter crust I used to bake for pies. It has been trial and error because. there is no resource for low-saturated fat baking. I have, on a couple of occasions, suggested to King Arthur that they consider developing recipes in that category, but they remain on the Vermont butter train. I would be more understanding of that choice, but given that they went all in on gluten-free, keto, vegan--and it is nice for those who need to or choose to follow those eating modes--I would think that they could spare some attention and development time for those of us who need to restrict saturated fat, which is likely a larger group, and probably one of the reasons so many people give up baking. I skim their weekly recipe emails; rarely, is there a recipe I can bake or even adapt to my needs.

It would be nice to have suggestions all in one place. I learned how to bake excellent oil-based cakes after reading some discussions in the old Epicurious/Bon Appetit emails (before they erected the paywall). I worked out oil substitution for butter in some recipes by googling it, reading different sites, and personal experimenting. I think it was Chocomouse who suggested 2% evaporated milk in place of half and half and heavy cream, and that allowed me to make the occasional quiche.

I will keep on experimenting, but in my frustration, I see the frustration of a lot of people who probably just give up because the resources are so scattered.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Toast with a little margarine/butter and cinnamon sugar is good, I really loved it as a kid. My first published 'recipe' was for cinnamon toast, it was in the school newsletter when I was in 3rd grade.

But, no, it isn't a cinnamon roll.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I followed the pizza emails last summer, but otherwise I don't pay a lot of attention to what King Arthur send out, it's mostly stuff they're trying to sell, and I haven't bought much from them in several years. I did buy some King Arthur diastatic malt powder last fall, but I got it through Amazon because the shipping charges were free there. I've found a local source for BRM white pastry flour, and that was the main thing I was buying from King Arthur.

There are still a few things I might get from them, such as baker's special dry milk, nondiastatic malt powder and sparkling sugar to put on pies, but I think there are probably other sources for them plus Amazon.

Finding an acceptable balance between 'healthful' and 'tasteful' is challenging, and not many recipe developers can do it.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

There are some interesting interviews coming out about Rene Redzepi shutting down his world-famous restaurant Noma (in Copenhagen) next year. A pastry chef who worked for them said that Rene really didn't like sweet desserts but wanted ones that were 'craveable' and also used locally sourced products. Not sure I'd want to eat ants, though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.