Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of November 13, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of November 13, 2016?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Sunday, I made Town Meeting Chicken (Turkey) Pie for dinner. The recipe came from one of those e-mail newsletters that KAF had a long time ago. I've adapted it with some whole wheat pastry flour in the biscuits. For Wednesday dinner, I needed to use up some leftover potatoes and broth from the pot roast. I cooked some ground beef and added chopped carrots and mushrooms. I diced the potatoes, then added them and the broth, and some frozen peas. It's was not a gourmet dinner, but it worked. On Thursday, I roasted two pie pumpkins and pureed them in my food processor. Some is for a pumpkin pie. I froze the rest. On Friday evening. I made applesauce. Saturday was a lot of cooking for our family Thanksgiving dinner. I made Cranberry Sauce with dried cherries and cardamom, I made spiced cider. I also made mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing (stuffing in a pan), and the traditional green bean casserole. My husband roasted the turkey.

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

I tried what I think is a significant improvement on my Chicken Mirepoix recipe, topping it with fontina cheese and sauteed mushrooms and red peppers.

Italiancook
        Participant

I only made a half-pot of chicken broth this week. I had some boneless chicken thighs from the freezer, but I wasn't pleased with the taste of the broth, so I ditched it. That's the last time I'll make broth without using a whole chicken. We ate out or had simple non-cooked meals.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

You need the collagen/gelatin in bones and cartilage in order to make adequate stock (I never make chicken broth), and I've found that the 'secret ingredient' is parsnips, if I leave them out the stock is bland.

If I find hind quarters on sale, sometimes I'll brown them in the oven and make brown chicken stock, discarding the meat afterwards, but usually I use a whole chicken (without the giblets) plus any bones that I've saved up from when I debone breasts.

I wish I could find an expensive source for chicken backs, though. I"m not paying $1.99 a pound for them and the online sources all seem to be for pet food and are labeled not for human consumption. One of these days I'm going to contact the Smart Chicken folks in Tecumseh NE to see if they'll sell me a 40 pound box of chicken backs from their cut-up chicken production line. Tecumseh NE is only about a 30 minute drive from here.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.