Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of July 24, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of July 24, 2016?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Monday evening, I roasted six whole chicken legs with small potatoes from the farmer's market and carrots. I rubbed the potatoes with olive oil, and pierced each with a fork. I also rubbed the carrots with olive oil before cutting them into chunks. I sprinkled all of it with some sage, thyme and rosemary, then drizzled olive oil on the chicken. An hour later, we have a complete dinner and leftovers for two more meals. For dinner on Tuesday, I used the leftover Sloppy Josephine filling and mixed it with macaroni and cheese (made with the KAF Vermont Cheese Powder), which we had with a salad full of good vegetables from the Farmer's Market. On Thursday, we were able to get our first sweet corn, and we will be eating lots of sweet corn before our vacation ends.

On Wednesday, I canned three (8 oz.) and one (4 oz.) jars of Black Raspberry-Seedless Blackberry Jam. On Thursday evening, I canned 3 1/2 quarts of Blueberry Pie Filling (two 1-quart and 3 half quart jars). The seal on one of the quart jars failed, so we will be having blueberry pie sooner rather than later.

Spread the word
      luvpyrpom
      Participant

This past weekend I made pork and shrimp wontons. Froze the extra for future meals. Nothing much else special.

Italiancook
        Participant

Because of the heat wave, I used the slow cooker this week. For breakfasts, I made Kelsey Nixon's (Cooking Channel TV) Slow Cooker Irish Oatmeal. She uses 3 bananas in it. I don't like that texture, so I use 1 banana, and 2 fruit exchanges -- 1 of which is always 1/4 cup raisins. This week, I used a plum as the third fruit. Next week, I'll use a peach. Bought several of those at the farmer's market.

From ATK "Slow Cooker Revolution Vol. 2: Easy Prep Edition," I made Chicken Prvovencal. I had leftover chicken broth, so I made Florentine Potato Soup. I no longer have the slow cooker book that recipe came from, and I can't recall the title. The soup is topped with Jarlsberg cheese, and I greatly enjoy the consistency of the cheese in the soup.

I had grated too much cheese, so I decided to try it in a quesadilla. I didn't like the consistency of the cheese in that application. Next time, I'll go back to cheddar.

Last night, also from ATK's "Slow Cooker Revolution Vol. 2: Easy Prep," I made Smothered Pork Chops. I used center cut pork chops instead of what they called for in the recipe. Turned out fine. Next time, I'll trim most of the fat off the chops to reduce the fat in the sauce. Served this with corn and tomatoes from the farmer's market. So grateful for those farmers.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
          rottiedogs
          Participant

So this week was grilled Huli Huli chicken and pizza. Also made burritos. Corn on the cob and mushrooms with the chicken and guacamole with the burritos. Sunday was probably not the best day to stand over the kettles as it was ridiculously hot and humid here. It was only to turn (huli) the chicken and pull the pizza off so it wasn't as nasty as it could have been.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.