Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of August 7, 2016?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) Did You Cook Anything Interesting the Week of August 7, 2016?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I did not have to cook most of the week. On Thursday, I used the last of the turkey breast my husband roasted last week and added it to some sautéed zucchini, sliced carrots, mushrooms, and a bit of broccoli. I had made broth from the turkey bones the day before, so I cooked spiral macaroni in it, then added it to the mix. That also gave us leftovers for Friday. Saturday evening, I roasted whole chicken legs, with small potatoes, carrot chunks, yellow bell pepper, and zucchini (ok that was given to us), all rubbed with olive oil, and put some fresh thyme and chives on it.

I also made jam and canned it on Monday, I canned four (8 oz.) jars of mixed berry jam consisting of blackberries, which I seeded, that came from our lake front and the woods, blueberries that we picked at a local farm, and "ringer" strawberries from the grocery. I then canned three (8 oz.) jars of peach jam, using organic peaches from the Farmer's Market. (They also do honey, so the peaches must be organic to protect the bees.) These jars will join the three (8 oz.) and one (4 oz.) jars of black raspberry-seeded blackberry jam I made the week of July 24. I'll give one to a sister who we will visit on the way back. The rest will see us through the year.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      luvpyrpom
      Participant

I tried a new recipe from Pinterest - Slow Cooked Chinese Pork Belly. It was pretty good. The thing I liked was the pork belly was cooked in chicken broth and spices for a couple hours before sauteing it in a skillet. I saved the broth and used it for lunch with rice noodles. Almost well enough to pass for the Vietnamese Pho.

Then on Friday, still in the making room in the freezer mode - I had brined my own corned beef back in March so dug out the brisket that I can froze and made Corned Beef with Cabbage, Potatoes, and Carrots for dinner. Will probably work on that meal for the weekend.

rottiedogs
        Participant

I made Lechón Asado Roast Pork for Pan Cubano sandwiches. I didn't have time to make the bread for the sandwiches so I used grocery store fluffy Italian rolls. I cut the middles out so they weren't too thick. They toasted up really well. I will be making this again as it was a big hit.

Pizza and grilled hot dogs rounded out the week.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.