Daily Quiz for September 15, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for September 15, 2019

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

How many flowers do honeybees have to visit to make a pound of honey?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for September 15, 2019]

Spread the word
      Joan Simpson
      Participant

I've read this before.

BakerAunt
        Participant

I missed it, but I now have even greater respect for bees and their product. The answer here shows us why we need to put in plants that encourage honey bees and to protect them from chemicals known to hurt them.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I don't use chemicals on our lawn or in our garden. If I lose some of my tomato crop to bugs, that's just part of the cycle of life. I'm tempted to find an area of the yard to seed in buckwheat again, it was really pretty and the bees LOVED it.

Buckwheat

Bee in buckwheat flower

skeptic7
            Participant

I missed that. There weren't many bees around this spring, but now that the Chinese Chives are in bloom, I see more bees visiting those flowers. Also a lot of butterflies.

BakerAunt
              Participant

We also were short on honey bees this spring and summer. We had some nice clover in the yard, and my husband remarked that years ago, honey bees would have been all over them. We've seen the bumble bees around the goldenrod, and I did see some little honey bees the other day. The biggest problem in our area are the people who want to make our rural area into suburbia--with the manicured lawns, fertilizers, and pesticides suburban lawns demand.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

Speaking of butterflies, the annual invasion of Painted Ladies has started here.

And the hummingbirds finally arrived, we've been seeing a half dozen or more at a time yesterday and today.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.