Daily Quiz for January 21, 2020

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for January 21, 2020

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

A pound of sour cherries is about how many cups after removing the pits?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for January 21, 2020]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I had no idea, and my guess was incorrect.

skeptic7
        Participant

I did a fairly blind guess and chose the wrong answer.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Having some idea of weight-to-measure equivalents for ingredients is very helpful in planning menus, shopping, and preparing meals. I'm told that at cooking schools like CIA they have students memorize long lists of equivalents and test them on their knowledge.

aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

On the last episode of the "Kids Baking Championship" a little girl said to a little boy "Now a cup of butter is four ounces, right?" And the boy said "yes." Needless to say, her blondies did not come out right and she ended up being sent home!

BakerAunt
              Participant

If you are going to bake, you should know butter weights.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I saw something on an episode of Chopped this week that I haven't seen very often on competitive cooking shows.

In the dessert round one of the competitors cut his hand badly with less than two minutes in the round. He hadn't finished plating all four of his dishes and leaving ingredients off the plate will often get you chopped. While the medic was attending to him, the clock kept counting down. With under 30 seconds to go, he was still being attended to, so his opponent finished plating his foods for him. (All he had to do was move two bowls of ice cream onto the plate.)

As it turned out, the guy who cut his hand won the competition, he almost certainly would have lost had his opponent not finished plating for him. I hope they invite the guy who lost back for another competition, sportsmanship deserves recognition.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

Missed it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.