Daily Quiz for August 14, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for August 14, 2019

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

How much does a large whole nutmeg weigh in grams?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for August 14, 2019]

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

I missed it because I didn't pay attention to "large."

Joan Simpson
        Participant

Missed it,I've never used a fresh one.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Joan Simpson.
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Do you buy pre-grated nutmeg? Many chefs believe freshly ground nutmeg is more flavorful.

Microplane has discontinued the Grate-N-Shake nutmeg grinder (the one that is shaped somewhat like an egg), I've been reading reviews for other nutmeg grinders but haven't found one I'm ready to order yet. My Grate-N-Shake developed some cracks when it got dropped on the floor and while it still works I'm afraid it won't last a lot longer. (I suspect problems with it breaking are why Microplane discontinued it. I can find one online in Germany, but the shipping fees are outrageous. Maybe some off-the-beaten-path cooking store might still have one, but I've checked the local stores.)

It appears OXO may have made a similar grinder but it too appears to have been discontinued.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I had a grinder--something KAF used to sell, but after a while, it broke. (Am I sensing a pattern with nutmeg grinders here?) I just use my Microplane narrow grater and grate what I need, as I need it. I buy nutmegs whole from Penzey's.

I read somewhere that a marriage will always be happy as long as there is a whole nutmeg in the house. 🙂

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by BakerAunt.
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Grinding a nutmeg is more challenging than grinding salt, pepper or seeds, mostly because the nutmeg has to be pressed into the grinding element. That's why graters tend to work better.

We've got one that pushes the nutmeg into the grating grid with a spring, but the cap keeps coming off and I've never thought it worked very well even when the cap stayed on.

I've read a lot of review of nutmeg grinders and graters in the past few days, nobody sees to like the inexpensive half round ones (Norpro and others). The ones that look more like a pepper mill appear to have problems grinding the entire nutmeg. A hand-held grater tends to work better, but other than the now-discontinued grate-n-shake I haven't found one I liked. (I have tried the small microplane stick ones, I found them clumsy to use and hard to clean.)

Joan Simpson
                Participant

I've always bought the nutmeg in a spice jar or can dried powder.

Italiancook
                  Participant

I will always miss a question about grams. I don't weigh anything. I had a nutmeg grinder, and as mentioned a couple of times, it broke. I have been grating my nutmeg on a long microplane. I wash it on the top shelf of the dishwasher and have never noticed any difference in its sharpness. Been doing this for several years, and I use nutmeg frequently. It's good not only in sweet goods, but also in some Italian dishes.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by Italiancook.
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I use nutmeg in cheese souffle and in spaetzle. It used to be commonly used in beef dishes, but I guess that's considered 'old-fashioned' these days.

RiversideLen
                      Participant

I don't use a lot of nutmeg but always buy it whole. It keeps a long time. I use a narrow curved microplane grater. It works pretty well. Once I get a nutmeg started it fits in the curve which makes grating pretty easy. btw, I too guessed wrong.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.