Daily Quiz for April 20, 2019

Home Forums Followups to Daily Quizzes Daily Quiz for April 20, 2019

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

How are rösti potatoes made?

[See the full post at: Daily Quiz for April 20, 2019]

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

I didn't know, so I googled it 🙂

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I missed it.

BakerAunt
          Participant

I got it because I recall reading about it somewhere. There are benefits to reading all the food emails I receive.

chocomouse
            Participant

We had this frequently when we lived in Germany. When we returned to the US, I made it but haven't had it for years. I put thin sliced onion in with the potatoes. Heavily butter a 7" cast iron skillet, and put the potato into that, patting it down firmly with a spatula. Let it cook, on the burner, about 10 minutes or so (can't remember exactly). Flip it out of the skillet onto a plate, put a lot more butter into the skillet (no wonder it is so good!) then slide the potatoes off the plate back into the skillet to finish cooking. It should be brown and crispy on the outside, but buttery soft in the middle. Serve with schnitzel and salat. I see this on my menu for next week! Thanks, Mike!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Hash brown potatoes are sometimes made this way, though most of the time what gets called hash browns are just fried slices of potatoes, usually with some onions. (An improvement on this is Lyonnaise potatoes.)

My mother's favorite post-Thanksgiving meal was potato pancakes made with left-over mashed potatoes and covered with gravy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.