Creating Steam FYI Thread

Home Forums Threads Saved from the KAF Baking Circle Creating Steam FYI Thread

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Creating Steam FYI

I came across these cast iron vessels used for creating steam on a grill. They work great in my oven. Just FYI for anyone interested. I will try to post picture
      posted by: garywh.mail@gmail.com on August 06, 2014 at 6:19 pm in

reply by: kaf-sub-rius on August 07, 2014 at 7:44 am
      Interesting. I just bought an Emile Henry bread cloche. I feel buyer's remorse around the corner.

reply by: bakeraunt on August 07, 2014 at 8:52 am
      Where did you find them?

reply by: kaf-sub-rius on August 07, 2014 at 10:35 am
      Like these?

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-661256/Charcoal+Companion+Moistly+...

reply by: frick on August 07, 2014 at 1:58 pm
      Thanks, I was heading to that part of town anyway so I'm going to look at these. I hope they have them in store. If not, well, I'll have fun anyway. Sur La Table is such a marvel.

reply by: garywh.mail@gmail.com on August 07, 2014 at 4:54 pm
      Amazon or Sur Le Table

reply by: garywh.mail@gmail.com on August 07, 2014 at 4:54 pm
      Thats Them

reply by: garywh.mail@gmail.com on August 07, 2014 at 4:55 pm
      Amazon

reply by: cwcdesign on August 07, 2014 at 5:11 pm
      They're cheaper at Sur La Table right now (on sale)

reply by: placebo on August 07, 2014 at 5:20 pm
      How many do you use in the oven? Does one produce enough steam?

reply by: buttercup on August 07, 2014 at 7:26 pm
      Thanks gary for posting this. I just ordered 2 from while they were on sale. I called the store but they had none left in stock and probably would not be getting any more this year since they are on clearance. I'm so happy you told us. I'm so tired of burning my hands trying to add ice cubes, boiling water, etc. and opening the oven door to spray lets out to much steam. Thanks again.

reply by: frick on August 07, 2014 at 10:24 pm
      I showed it to DH & he already has one that came with a new grill we bought a few years back. Of course, it is all rusty. I hope we can clean it up & I'll oil and season it like a cast iron pan.
      reply by: garywh.mail@gmail.com on August 08, 2014 at 12:50 am
      I use 2 one on each side with an 18x18 Travertine marble stone I got at Loews for 6.99 in the middle.
      reply by: garywh.mail@gmail.com on August 08, 2014 at 12:54 am
      I've been there. I tried so many combinations with spotty results that when I finally came upon a combination that worked consistently and was inexpensive I felt compelled to share it with other bakers.
      Good Luck
      Gary

reply by: frick on August 08, 2014 at 8:42 pm
      All good ideas. Thanks for sharing your set up. The travertine marble tile is a good and economical idea.

reply by: buttercup on August 14, 2014 at 8:50 am
      I'm making some rolls today, and the recipe says to add steam for the first 5 minutes. Is it alright to leave the vessels in the whole baking time (20 minutes) or do I have to remove the vessels. Any ideas. I don't want soggy rolls. Is it best to just put a small amount of water in the vessels and just let it evaporate or will that ruin the vessels. (gee how many times can I say vessel....lol) Thanks.

reply by: buttercup on August 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm
      I put both vessels in the oven for the first five minutes then removed them. Worked great. Thanks for telling us about them gary.

reply by: Antilope on August 14, 2014 at 6:50 pm
      If these are uncoated, bare cast iron they will rust if not properly cared for. Dry them out good (dump out all the water and dry in a hot oven or over a hot burner) and coat with a little cooking oil, inside and out, between uses.

reply by: buttercup on August 14, 2014 at 7:12 pm
      Antilope, they were so hot when I took them out of the oven, I spilled the water out and they were dry in seconds, I then brushed them with Crisco and let it sit a while, then whipped out what was left with paper towels. Thanks for responding.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.