Coming Through the Rye

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Coming Through the Rye

Viewing 4 posts - 136 through 139 (of 139 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

I'm not so sure about the pumpkin part but maple syrup instead of molasses would make an interesting change, I'd expect it to be sweeter, as molasses has a slightly bitter undertaste, depending on what type of molasses you use. Not sure if using maple syrup would change recommended baking time/temperature.

skeptic7
      Participant

I found one of Ginsburg's recipes on the web. It called for 2 cups of hard cider. Wouldn't the alcohol interfere with the yeast growth? It looks like an interesting recipe but I don't know if I would sacrifice the cider to make the bread.

https://www.splendidtable.org/story/2016/12/06/normandy-cider-rye

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I doubt there's enough alcohol in hard cider to kill off the yeast, though it seems likely it would slow it down some. Yeast activity can generate alcohol, too.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I did try Ginsberg's Danish rye bread recipe, mainly because there was a BBGA forum thread on it that piqued my interest, but I had several problems with it that I attribute to things I did incorrectly. (I also ran short on a couple of ingredients.) I'll try it again before I write a formal review of it here.

I do want to get back into testing Ginsberg recipes more frequently. Hopefully this will re-start the project.

Viewing 4 posts - 136 through 139 (of 139 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.