Cinnamon Rolls from Tasting Table

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Cinnamon Rolls from Tasting Table

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I tried a new cinnamon roll recipe tonight:

http://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/how-to-make-cinnamon-rolls-cinnamon-bun-recipe-vanilla-glaze

I printed it last year from a Tasting Table e-mail and found it in a pile of recipes I am trying to sort and organize (and in some cases throw away--what was I thinking when I printed THAT?). It's my husband's turn to do the birthday person in his office, and she asked not for a cake but for breakfast. For my husband, special breakfast = cinnamon rolls, which is where I come in. It is a rich recipe, but I figure with fifteen people in his office, this is the perfect opportunity to try it out. The dough handles like a dream, and the filling is mixed together before being spread, which keeps it from falling out when cutting it. I was also surprised by the cooked glaze.

I followed the recipe except that I substituted in 1/4 cup of water for part of the milk, and I proofed the yeast in it. (I know that I don't have to proof yeast, but I love seeing it come alive.) I also substituted in 1 cup of white whole wheat flour and added 1 Tbs. flax meal. I let the glaze cool to room temperature before putting it over the rolls.

While I'm usually nervous about sending out a new recipe without ever tasting it, this one smells and looks so wonderful that I am not worried about anything except whether that my husband will be able to save me a bit to sample. My one worry is that the glaze may make it too sweet, although I did taste it and was pleased. I'll report tomorrow on what people thought of it--and I hope I will get a taste.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: proofreading error
      BakerAunt
      Participant

The cinnamon rolls met with universal acclaim at my husband's office, and he was told many times to thank me for baking them. Two were left over, so I brought them home, and I ate one with my coffee after lunch. Oh, my, oh my! These are incredibly delicious. As the recipe write-up states, they are like sticky buns with no nuts, and they do not have to be dumped out of the pan, since the glaze is added on top after they bake. They have a slight caramel taste to them, and they are not too sweet with the glaze.

I did change the mixing instructions. I'm puzzled by the ones with the recipe, which seem to make it harder than it need be and to mix in an odd order, as well as knead by hand when one has a perfectly good stand mixer used in the first mix.

After I proofed the yeast, I added the sugar, milk, butter, and eggs. I then mixed it to incorporate the eggs. I then added the 2 1/4 cups flour (I substituted in 1 cup white whole wheat and added 1 Tbs. flax meal), and mixed with the paddle until fully incorporated. I then let it rest for 10 minutes. I switched to the bread spiral, added the rest of the flour, mixed with the salt, and incorporated it, before kneading for 4 minutes on 3 (Cuisinart stand mixer--3 is my usual kneading speed). I initially held back 1/2 cup of the flour, but after adding 1/4 cup of that, I concluded that it needed all of it. Rising times were as stated in the recipe. I baked it for 22 minutes.

Note: I could not spread the filling on the dough without tearing the dough, so I dropped clumps of it all around, and spread it with my fingers as best I could. I only left a "one-inch border" at the long side toward which I rolled up the dough. On the other three sides, I spread it right to the end. To cut the rolls, I used a piece of my handy-dandy non-flavored dental floss.

One more note: the recipe equates a package of yeast with 2 1/2 tsp. However, I've always seen it as 2 1/4 tsp., so that is what I used, and it worked fine.

Now I just need an occasion with enough people attending to bake these again!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by BakerAunt.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

You've hit on the main reason I haven't made cinnamon rolls in about two years, we'd wind up eating them all ourselves!

However, I did print this recipe out and it's in my 'to try' folder for the next time I want to send something in to my wife's office.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.