Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake Without Butter

Home Forums Recipes Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake Without Butter

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Blueberry Greek Yogurt Cake Without Butter (makes a 9” round cake)
      Marliss Desens adapted this recipe from the blog Julia’s Album, which notes it is adapted from Epicurious.

1 cup white whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur)
      1 Tbs. milk powder (Bob’s Red Mill milk powder)
      ½ tsp. baking powder
      ½ tsp. baking soda
      1/8 tsp. salt

2/3 cup sugar
      3 Tbs. avocado oil
      1 large egg
      ½ cup Greek Yogurt (I used nonfat Fage)
      ½ tsp. vanilla

1 cup blueberries (frozen berries work well)

Directions:
      Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment. Grease sides and parchment with Crisco. Preheat oven to 375F with rack in center.

In small bowl, whisk together flour, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In medium bowl, whisk together sugar and oil. Whisk in egg. Whisk in Greek yogurt. Whisk in vanilla.

Add dry ingredients and combine gently with a cake whisk, switching to a spatula to incorporate all ingredients. Scrape the thick batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with spatula. Sprinkle the blueberries on the top. Keep these away from the sides of the pan to prevent sticking.

Bake for 23-25 minutes until cake tester comes out clean and cake is golden.

Let cake cool for 40 minutes on rack. Release the springform pan. I use a large round “cake mover” spatula to remove the cake from the springform bottom (slide it between the parchment and the pan). I leave the parchment on until ready to cut. After cutting the first slice, I remove the rest of the parchment from underneath (probably that could be done when the cake is completely cooled).

What I changed: I replaced AP flour with white whole wheat flour. I replaced 2 oz. (4 Tbs.) of unsalted butter with 3 Tbs. avocado oil. (Canola oil could be used, but the avocado oil adds double the fat as well as healthy fats.) I also add 1 Tbs. milk powder, as I find it improves flavor and texture when replacing butter with oil. The recipe did not state what kind of Greek yogurt; I used nonfat Fage Greek yogurt. I changed the mixing instructions, since an oil cake needs to be mixed gently, or it will be tough. I also added the suggestion of greasing the parchment paper. While my source says the cake can be baked in a 9-inch pan (at least 2-inch sides, I would suggest!) for 30-40 minutes, I have not tried doing so.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.