Basic Muffins by janloew

Home Forums Recipes Basic Muffins by janloew

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    chocomouse
    Participant

This is a good, basic muffin recipe posted by janloew on the old Baking Circle. You can use any fruit, chips or nuts you wish in it and the results will still be good. As with all muffin batters, you should be careful not to overmix.

When I use this recipe for blueberry muffins and sprinkle them with course sugar, they come very close to the Jordan Marsh blueberry muffins that I loved as a kid.

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temperature
      • 1 cup sugar
      • 2 eggs
      • 1 teaspoon vanilla
      • 2 cups AP flour
      • 1 teaspoon salt
      • 1 teaspoon baking soda
      • 2 teaspoons baking powder
      • 1 cup buttermilk*

• Optional: course sugar to coat muffin tops

• *You may substitute yogurt or sour cream, but I think buttermilk gives you a lighter texture.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line muffin tins.

In a medium bowl or the bowl of your mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, making sure the first egg is fully incorporated before adding the second. Stir in vanilla.

Sift dry ingredients together into a separate bowl.

Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk in two additions, stirring just until combined. Add any fruit, nuts or chips you desire. If using frozen berries DO NOT defrost before adding to batter.

Scoop batter into prepared tins. Sprinkle with course sugar if desired and place in oven. Immediately turn oven temperature up to 400 degrees and bake for 25 minutes for standard muffins, 15 - 20 minutes for mini muffins. Cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Yield: 12 standard muffins, 24+ mini muffins (depends on your pan).

Added by Chocomouse:
      I have added candied orange peel; subbed a cup of coconut flour; added 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice powder and blueberries; used sour cream - every batch was excellent.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.