Are you ready for a $1500 convection oven with artificial intelligence?

Home Forums General Discussions Are you ready for a $1500 convection oven with artificial intelligence?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a review of the June, a $1500 countertop convection oven with (limited) AI capabilities, it can tell what you're cooking just by looking at it.

WSJ articlel on the June oven

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

Interesting but I'll pass on it for now. I don't have spare counter space either. And I don't want my appliances to be smarter than me!

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I could probably find counter space for one, since we actually have 2 microwaves in the kitchen, but this seems like an appliance whose time hasn't quite arrived yet.

But in a few years, this technology will almost certainly be more affordable, more mature and more refined. Look what happened with microwave oven prices over the years. We spent something something in excess of $300 for our first microwave oven 25 years ago, and these days they're under $100.

And immersion circulation heaters for sous vide cooking were until recently only available for $1000 or more, now there are several models that are under $200, sometimes under $100.

The 3D food printer is the technology that will eventually redefine cooking, the food replicators of the Star Trek world are coming!

aaronatthedoublef
          Participant

Interesting. It doesn't say how much intelligence is on the countertop and how much is in the cloud. Will your oven still work if your internet service is down?

Can you communicate with it directly or does your communication always have to go through the cloud?

Who on earth would bake a couple dozen chocolate chip cookies in an oven that size! 🙂

And I'm just getting started. What would be really neat is something that would keep the salmon chilled until it was time to cook it. So I could prep it and leave it refrigerated until it was time to start cooking it which could be automated or could be done via the app from my phone.

Back in the mid-90s I worked on a "Home of the Future". We customized a refrigerator but putting a computer in it including a 13 inch monitor in the door. You could read email, pull up recipes, and keep inventory on it.

Now you can buy that from Samsung!

There are already some 3D printers for chocolate making and such. But they are too expensive for the average person right now.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

I've seen some printers for making cocoa butter transfer sheets, similar to doing dry transfer lettering for t-shirts, I guess. The best of them aren't available in the USA because the printer cartridges won't work on the printers that are available here, but I'm told they're not TOO expensive in Europe, if you're into doing transfer sheets for your chocolates.

There are also ones for doing cake decorating with pictures, sort of a fancied up airbrush, I assume.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

When we built our house in 1996-97, we built one of the first smart homes in Nebraska, doing what was then state-of-the-art in home automation, so there are around 70 devices, mostly lights and outlets, that can be turned on from programmable button panels around the house. Light sensors and timers control what 'phase of the day' various areas of the house are in, morning, day, evening or night.

One touch of a button in the bedroom, for example, and all the outdoor lights come on. Really good for bump-in-the-night noises.

We also put in quite a few motion sensors, so that in most rooms lights come on automatically as needed and go off after a few minutes. It's also tied to our security system, so when you open doors lights come on, etc. The house also 'talks', so it announces when doors open. Very hard to sneak in or out of this house.

By current standards, it's probably a bit primitive, though, and it's not web-enabled.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Mike Nolan.
              Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.