Alton Brown, Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

Home Forums General Discussions Alton Brown, Chili and Cinnamon Rolls

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Alton Brown was in Lincoln this week for one of his shows (I wouldn't call it a cooking demonstration), and there's video of him pouring chili on a cinnamon roll, taking a big bite (which he apparently didn't like) and proclaiming that 'Nebraska Style'.

Nope!

The cinnamon roll has to be dunked in the chili. And it takes the right kind of chili (not too spicy) and the right kind of cinnamon roll (not too sweet or heavy on cinnamon) or the combination just doesn't work. It doesn't appear what he had met either of those conditions, and then of course he did it wrong, so it really doesn't surprise me that he didn't like the results. No Nebraskans I know would do it that way, either.

See https://journalstar.com/entertainment/dining/nebraskans-cringe-as-celebrity-chef-alton-brown-visits-lincoln-pours-chili-on-cinnamon-roll/article_6aa83dba-afb3-5043-9766-4288ab9730dd.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

My older son is a big Alton Brown fan, I'm not, I find his recipes overly seasoned and sometimes just weird. He gets too busy trying to do things HIS way or what he think the 'science' should be, and with very mixed results.

He can be entertaining and some of his scientific explanations make sense. But I prefer Kenji Lopez-Alt's way of experimenting with food science.

When Susan Reid of King Arthur was in Kansas City for her laminated dough demonstration, she talked a little about Alton, who was one of her students back when she was working at a culinary school. Let's say it sounded like she had a mixed opinion of him.

Spread the word
      skeptic7
      Participant

I never thought of pouring chili on the cinnamon roll. I wouldn't have thought of doing that in grade school at all. I liked to have my textures separate so I would have alternates spoonfuls of chili and bites of the cinnamon roll, or finished off the chili before eating the cinnamon roll. What sort of barbarian is Alton Brown anyway?

BakerAunt
        Participant

I'm a Kenji Alt-Lopez fan. While I have heard of Alton Brown, I've not watched his shows and have not made any of his recipes.

I'm with Skeptic when it comes to keeping the textures separate and allowing them to play off of each other that way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.