Almond Cloud Cookies (garcistac)

Home Forums Recipes Almond Cloud Cookies (garcistac)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

This recipe originally submitted by garcistac to the Baking Circle on Tuesday 2011-09-06. This poster was replying to someone looking for the Almond Cloud Cookie recipe on the KAF site and noted, "I couldn't find the cloud cookies in the search either." Before transcribing this recipe, I checked the KABC website, and the recipe is not there; it seems to have been replaced with one that uses their almond flour. So, I will transcribe the recipe that garcistac posted here to be part of the Nebraska Kitchen recipe treasure trove.

Almond Cloud Cookies

10 oz. almond paste
      1 cup sugar
      1/4 tsp. salt
      2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
      1/4 tsp. almond extract
      1/8 tsp. extra-strong bitter almond oil
      [Note: the traditional version of these cookies have a hint of lemon or orange. If desired, rplace the bitter almond with 1/8 tsp. lemon or orange oil.]

Confectioners sugar or glazing sugar for topping

Pre-heat the oven to 325F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Blend the almond paste, sugar, and salt until the mixture becomes uniformly crumbly; this is best done in a stand mixer. [Transcriber note: a hand mixer should work.]

Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.

Stir in the flavorings. [Transcriber: I assume this means the extracts.]

Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans. Sprinkle the cookies with confectioners' sugar, then use three fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.

Bake the cookies for 20-25 minutes, until brown around the edges. Remove from the oven, and let cool on the pans.

Yield: 21 cookies

Additional Notes:
      To make Chocolate-Almond Cloud Cookies, add 1 cup chocolate chips to the dough right after adding the egg whites.. Bake as directed: Yield 28 cookies.

To make Italian pignoli cookies, use 2/3 cup (3 1/2 oz.) pine nuts (pignoli), dip the tops of unbaked cookies in the nuts. Flatten them gently on the baking sheet. Bake as directed.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.