Never Turn Your Back on Softening Butter

Home Forums General Discussions Never Turn Your Back on Softening Butter

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Tonight I am baking Lucia buns. I had butter softening on the kitchen counter. I went to brush my teeth, and when I returned the butter was still on the counter, but not where I'd put it before dinner, and it looked like some of it was missing. A guilty looking dog registered my displeasure as I realized what had happened. I weighed the butter, and sure enough, 1/2 Tbs. was missing. (I had cut it into sections to warm faster.) Although she has on three occasions nabbed a baked item that was cooling, she has not in the past gone after ingredients. I never thought she would be interested in butter.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

BakerAunt, I think you're lucky only 1/2 Tbs was missing. Most dogs would inhale the whole thing in a flash.

BakerAunt
        Participant

According to my dog, she was just standing her ground. She reached up a paw, the 1/2 Tbs. of butter "attacked" her and would not let go, so she had to eat it!

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

I'm guessing this is not a small dog. My experience with bigger dogs is they'll eat almost anything, even if it's not good for them. Cats will sample many things, but usually not go much beyond that. We once had a cat eat a large hunk of store-bought angel food cake, right through the plastic wrap.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Annie is an Australian Cattle Dog who weighs 40 pounds and can stretch out to a long length. She has been a bit bored since we had 8-10 inches of snow last Saturday, and an additional 3 inches or so yesterday morning, which curtailed our walks, in part because of ice. We don't have a fenced yard, so she has to be taken out on lead. We did have a fairly mild morning today so she got a walk. A tired Cattle Dog is a good Cattle Dog.

skeptic7
              Participant

BakerAunt;
                Thats an impressive amount of snow! Where do you live? I'm surprised that your dog didn't eat everything, the cattle dog I knew had an impressively good digestion.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Hi, Skeptic. I'm in northern Indiana. Of course, there can be variations in snowfall, even with places that are somewhat close, particularly with lake effect snow coming down from Michigan. My husband had to go to the next county (we are close to the line), and he reported that they had not had the amount of snow that we had.

Our dog was particularly bad when we first got her at 14 months with chewing and eating non-food items--and ended up with a surgery in one case. She has matured over the past few years. She actually has not purloined the amount of food that our previous dog, a mini-schnauzer managed to nab.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Yesterday the dog seems to have been curious about the Sourdough Whole Wheat Cheese Cracker dough that I had warming a bit and had pushed far back on the counter. Again, I was in the next room when I heard a clattering of falling items. She had pushed on the corner cabinet, which is one of those revolving ones, so it twirled, plastic ware flew, and she ran. She did not get anywhere near the dough, which I'm sure she found delightfully smelly.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.