Link to Article on Bread Baking

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls Link to Article on Bread Baking

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

Here's an interesting article on "fermenting" bread. I'm not sure the practice is quite as new to professional bakers as the author implies, but the article is interesting.

https://www.foodnewsfeed.com/fsr/menu-innovations/these-tips-will-make-you-want-ferment

Spread the word
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

Every few years things that bakers have known for millennia are rediscovered. There are often a few new variants to the tricks, but most of it is the same old things all over again.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

I've seen a few articles on this recently - letting the flour and water sit for as little as half an hour, before adding yeast or adding a sponge or poolish. It is supposed to add lots of flavor. Haven't tried it myself but, as Mike says, this has been around forever.

And if you read Pretty Good Number One which is far from ancient but about five years old, the author devotes a chapter to the beauties of fermentation and not just for bread.

It is a fun read as is his first book Hungry Monkey.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

Letting the flour and water sit for a half hour (before adding salt, yeast or any enrichments like fats, milk, eggs or sugar) is often called autolysis, and was championed by Professor Raymond Calvel, who is credited for having rescued French breadmaking from mediocrity after WW2. Now there are national standards for things like French baguettes and national training centers for French bakers.

His book, Le Goût du Pain (The Taste of Bread), is hard to find even in libraries, but I learned a lot from it, even though it isn't really so much a cookbook as a textbook on bread ingredients and techniques. (It has several pages just on salt.) One of my goals in learning French is to be able to buy and read that book in French, if I can find an affordable copy. (Reviewers of the English edition of the book seem divided on whether the translator did a good job translating and updating the book.)

Another thing I've rediscovered lately is to let my dough rest for at least 15 minutes after pre-shaping before the final shaping.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Mike Nolan.
            aaronatthedoublef
            Participant

Funny, I was just reading about pre-shaping on KAF. No one has ever told me about that before but, thinking back to shaping dough in the bakery we did just that. It's just no one ever called it that.

I'm going to try that with my rye bread. I'm also going to try baking it on the stone instead of a sheet pan and adding some steam. I want to get a little thicker crust and a little more oven spring.

Thanks!

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

Jeffrey Hamelman listed 12 steps for making bread in his book, "Bread":

Scaling
                Mixing (which may include Autolyse as a sub-step)
                Bulk Fermentation
                Folding
                Dividing
                Preshaping
                Bench Rest
                Shaping
                Final Fermentation
                Scoring
                Baking
                Cooling

Some sources list additional steps, such as making pre-ferments, mashes or soakers, recipes that use a sourdough starter might have steps to deal with getting a portion of the starter ready for use. (The way this is done in a commercial kitchen is somewhat different than how it is done in many home kitchens, a professional baker is never going to throw away half of his starter when feeding it, so feeding the starter becomes part of the process of getting a portion of the starter ready for the day's breadmaking.)

Many of the recipes on the BBGA site have First bulk rise, Folding and Second bulk rise steps. I've seen some baguette recipes that go through as many as four bulk rises, with folding or punching the dough down between bulk rises.

This is one of those books that every time I read it, it messes with my mind for a while. I"m not sure why, I guess I may take some of his steps a bit too literally.

"You have to know when to break the rules." (from The Golden Child)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.