Sun. Oct 11th, 2026

Mike Nolan

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 8,098 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 26, 2026? #49765
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

      I had a sandwich with a fresh tomato, Diane had tuna salad in a tomato.

      in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49758
      Mike Nolan
      Keymaster

        I haven't done it yet this year but if I want pizza without heating up the kitchen, I do it on the outdoor gas grill, which can reach higher temperatures than a home oven can, up to about 800. The big challenge for that is getting the pizza off the peel onto the grill. I use parchment rounds to help with this indoors, but that might not work outdoors because they will burn if the grill is hot enough. The usual technique is to pull the parchment out after a minute or so, but that's a lot easier to say than it is to do--at least for me.

        in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49748
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

          We had chicago dogs--sort of, they were out of the poppy seed buns so I sprinkled some poppy seeds on them at home.

          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49740
          Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

            The corn on the cob ears here so far this season have been on the small side, but very tasty. The growing season may be impacted by the weather.

            The good news on the 2026 growing season is my tomatoes are doing great this year, far better than last year.

            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49735
            Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

              we had canaloupe and salami tonight

              in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49729
              Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

                We had corn on the cob and I had a sandwich.

                in reply to: Freezer Drawer Closing Issue #49727
                Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

                  Do you have an infrared thermometer? If so, you can use it to check the temperature around the edges, to see if there may also be a gasket issue. (I do that with my oven from time to time, too.)

                  in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49723
                  Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

                    I had a small sandwich and some fruit.

                    in reply to: Bread in an InstaPot #49717
                    Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

                      The missing element is an instant pot air fryer lid, if that makes any sense.

                      I've used an air fryer a few times at my son's house, was only so-so on it. I've got a 24 quart pressure canner, a bit large to crank up for most instantpot type items.

                      in reply to: What are you Baking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49715
                      Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

                        I have to be careful with cookies, because I can go through a stack of them (think Girl Scout Thin Mints) quickly. I'm back on a keto-ish diet (and down over 10 pounds in a month), so I limit myself to one small cookie (made with a #100 scoop) every few days.

                        My wife uses them to keep her blood sugar numbers from dropping too low and is using Noom for nutrition monitoring these days. I'm sticking with CarbManager, I like it's recipe builder/analyzer.

                        in reply to: Bread in an InstaPot #49714
                        Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

                          Doing some googling, apparently some instant pots have a bread mode but most are just good dough fermenting places. I'll stick to my mixer and oven.

                          in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 19, 2026? #49705
                          Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

                            I picked 3 small tomatoes from the garden today and used one for a tomato and salami sandwich.

                            in reply to: What are you Cooking the Week of July 12, 2026? #49700
                            Mike Nolan
                            Keymaster

                              Have you thought about par-baking the crust in the toaster oven, flipping it over, quickly adding toppings and finishing it in the toaster oven?

                              The recipe I was using for pizzas on a gas grill last summer used that technique.

                              in reply to: 2026 Gardens #49699
                              Mike Nolan
                              Keymaster

                                I've got a couple of small chestnut trees that aren't doing well, either. I was hoping to replace one of them this spring but the arboretum I get them from didn't have any available because the squirrels ate the seedlings.

                                in reply to: 2026 Gardens #49694
                                Mike Nolan
                                Keymaster

                                  Looks like I'll get 3-4 small (golf ball) tomatoes tomorrow from the 4th of July plants.

                                Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 8,098 total)