Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars

Home Forums Baking — Desserts Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I found a recipe for Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies a while back. They use oil instead of butter:

I made a few changes to see if I could further reduce saturated fat and increase nutrition. Here's what I did:
      1. I used natural peanut butter (the kind with the oil that has to be stirred). The recipe did not specify what type to use, so I assume it is the trans fat stuff.
      2. I used canola rather than olive oil, since olive oil has twice the saturated fat as olive oil. However, given how bland canola oil is, that may have contributed to a bland taste.
      3. I halved the salt from 1/2 to 1/4 tsp.
      4. I added 1 Tbs. flax meal.
      5. I reduced the oil from 1/3 cup to 3 Tbs., since I used natural peanut butter.
      6. I used about 1/3 cup (60 grams) regular dark chocolate chips--that is what I had, and that makes 6g saturated fat in the recipe.
      7. I added 2 Tbs. Bob's Red Mill powdered milk
      8. I did not add nuts.
      9. I used white whole wheat flour.

After I mixed it up, it made a firm ball of dough. I decided to press it into a lined 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan lined with parchment. I used slightly dampened hands. I baked it for 20 minutes, which was a little too long, although they did not burn. The bottoms were browner than I would have liked, and they were a bit dry. I would probably bake for 15 minutes next time.

The flavor is bland. I had expected the peanut butter to be more pronounced, but it is rather faint. My husband agrees about the taste, but he ate two at lunch and two at dinner, probably because he feels chocolate deprived. I wonder if the recipe could be adapted to use all peanut butter and no oil.

I don't know that I'll try these again, but I would like a peanut butter oat bar that does not use butter or margarine or Crisco.

Spread the word
    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.