What Did You Bake the Week of September 18, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of September 18, 2016?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Tuesday, I tried a new recipe, the Mocha Chocolate Chip Cake that Cwcdesign called to our attention. I discussed it in a separate thread. On Saturday, I baked a 1 1/2 recipe of my favorite banana bread from The Mother Daughter Cookbook (a gift from my aunt to my sister when we were teenagers). I was able to fit it into an 8-cup Nordic Ware 4-loaf pan (with the scalloped sides and ribbon design on the bottom. After dinner, I'll bake Barley Flake Butterscotch Cookies (KAF recipe). Most of the cookies and the banana bread are for after service socializing at church tomorrow.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

Today, I baked a double batch of Peanut Butter cookies and a single recipe of KAF Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies. It was my first time making the KAF recipe. Worked just fine. Recipe calls for 3 cups semisweet chocolate chips. It says you can use just a bag of chips. I had a bag of bittersweet choc. chips, so I used that. I think that was plenty of chocolate; I probably will never use the 3 cups. The recipe says this is a good cookie for ice cream sandwiches. I didn't have any ice cream, but I tend to think KAF is right on that.

Earlier in the week, I made KAF Easy Cinnamon Bread. I froze it as slices. Their recipe calls for letting the dough rise for an hour. I never do that. I much prefer the texture of baking it right after mixed.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

It finally cooled down enough that I could get back into bread baking. Plus, I didn't want to lose my newfound skills of bread making and I hadn't made any bread for over 2 months. So on Sunday, I made Tuscan Coffeecake, but instead of the 9" round cake pan, I chose to make them in loaf pans. I wasn't too sure about the pan size, so to be safe, I had made the coffeecake in two 9x5 pans. They rose beautifully, baked until internal temp of 205, took them out to cool and promptly the bottom and sides began to shrink. Top stayed the same, nice and pretty. I think next time I may need to bake all into one loaf pan and definitely watch the first rise. I also wanted to work on the KAF chocolate chip oatmeal cookies - I find their original recipe to be a bit too sweet so I had cut the recipe in half as I can't eat all those cookies. Decreased the sugars and chips down drastically and I have to say, I think I finally got it to the right sweetness for me. I also wanted to see how the baked chocolate chip cookies did when frozen and then thawed for future use. On Tuesday, I wanted to use up the frozen pie crust in the freezer so made custard pie w/cinnamon sugar top, chocolate macarons - still experimenting with that recipe. Then on Friday, decided to make snickerdoodle biscotti for work and really wanted to try the Samoa sheet cake I saw on Pinterest. It's a take on the Girl Scouts Samoas cookies. The biscotti I fell in love with I hadn't made it in years so that has been brought back to the forefront. The cake was too sweet for my own personal taste. It's almost like a Texas sheet cake - pour the hot boiling caramel frosting on the warm cake. Top with toasted coconut shreds. drizzle a caramel and then a chocolate in opposite directions. Like eating a Samoa fudge candy. Just too rich for me. See this is what happens when I call in sick from work and definitely have too much time on my hands - baking frenzy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.