What Did You Bake the Week of October 9, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of October 9, 2016?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It was a busy week for me, so my baking was concentrated on Saturday. I baked the Malted Whole Grain Rolls (KAF recipe) in the stoneware "Tear and Share" dish that I bought from KAF. (I spend less time at that website now; so I'm less tempted to buy such items. It's a nice baking dish but not strictly necessary for the recipe.) They are nice rolls with a lighter texture. I needed to add 2 Tbs. of flour to the dough. I like how the pan gave them a nice bottom texture, but they seem to have picked up a bit of the canola flavor from the oil. I'll use less next time, as the dish is seasoned enough. The original recipe says to use butter, but I was concerned that it would stay on the dish and get rancid.

I baked Grape Nuts bread, as we are out of bread. I baked the Vanilla Pound Cake from the KAF Wholegrain Baking Book. We will have it as strawberry shortcake base for Sunday dinner dessert. I also made a batch of Chex Mix. To get ready for the next week, I made up a double recipe of my version of the Sourdough Crackers (KAF) but my version uses more flour (soupier starter) and the powdered cheese. I'll bake them off during the week. I also assembled a scone recipe before I went to bed, so that it could be baked Sunday morning.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

BakerAunt, I admire you and Wonky for all the baking you can do in a day. On Monday, I made Oatmeal Coffee Cake using lime oil for the flavoring. I also put the ingredients for Kelsey Nixon's Slow-Cooker Irish Oatmeal into the crock pot. Then I was through for the day. I couldn't have done more if I wanted. Maybe it's my arthritis, because I've never been a lazy person.

The only reason I know what I did is I took your advice and started keeping track on my computer. I attached a sticky note to the desktop and typed in what I baked and cooked during the week. I don't see that you posted a topic about what we cooked for the week.

Like you, I haven't purchased much from the KAF website or catalog since they shut down the BC. I'm just not going there as much.

luvpyrpom
        Participant

Not much baking this week. Made Angel Food cake from a box. Haven't mastered making that from scratch yet.

Italiancook, like you and BakerAunt, I've stopped ordering from KAF website. I think they dropped me off their emailing list and I never got a reminder to renew my Baker's Bucks. So I missed all my coupons. Plus, I can buy KAF flour locally here. May have to pay a few more cents per bag but at least I can get it.

Mike Nolan
          Keymaster

It's not that I've deliberately stopped ordering from King Arthur Flour, but I haven't been on their website in weeks, and have no specific reason to go there. If/when I run out of white pastry flour, that's still the only place I can find it online. But I haven't baked a pie in months, what with my wife on a 20-carb diet.

I'm getting into photography so I've ordered a lot of photo gear online this year, and now I'm getting into chocolate, so I've ordered a bunch of chocolate gear (a tempering pot, molds, etc) online in the past week.

I did bake a Texas Chocolate Sheet Cake this week, though. I need to make white bread, so I'll probably make Vienna bread some time in the next few days. I make 3 loaves at a time from the Clonmel Kitchens Double Crusty bread recipe, freeze 2, and usually wind up throwing away a third or so of each loaf after 8-10 days. But that means a batch lasts me 3-4 weeks.

BakerAunt
            Participant

I renewed my Bakers' Rewards Program; we shall see if that gets me back on the email list. I write the expiration date of Bakers' Bucks on my desk calendar so that I remember to use them. KAF has some items that I've not found elsewhere--the Vermont Cheese Powder that is crucial to my sourdough crackers, the cinnamon chips, the first clear flour, durum wheat flour. Also, if I order three 10# bags of flour and use a rewards coupon, it's an excellent deal. I have branched out to Bob's Red Mill flours which often cost less than the KAF, and I've always preferred their dark rye. When I've checked out the KAF blog, I don't feel inspired, and I feel the friendly tone is a facade. Clearly, I have recipes from KAF that I like; look at how many I listed that started out from KAF, even though I fiddled with them. However, I sometimes think that KAF put in ingredients that are not really needed. For those rolls I baked this past week, I didn't have whole grain improver, so I didn't put it in, and clearly it wasn't needed.

Italian Cook: I think that you will enjoy keeping a cooking/baking log. I've been adding notes to mine for when I repeat recipes. I do think that the cooking thread shows that I'm in a rut, and I'm hoping to be inspired by all of you to be more creative on meals. My long baking day was motivated by a need to get ahead on some food (bread, crackers, scones), and to try out a couple of new recipes, since I am trying to sort through my stack. I admit that my lower back was tight by the time I finished, since I was standing a lot. I need to remember to put a stool in the kitchen (tight as the space is), so that I can change position while I work.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I made a Ina Garten's Sour Cream Coffee Cake with Streusel topping.Very good,bakes in tube pan.Very forgiving recipe also.I forgot to add the brown sugar to streusel mix,had already layered first part when I realized what I did sooooo I figured I'd add it to 2nd part and instead of just sprinkling on top I swirled it altogether and it came out ok.Didn't have a pronounced line across but that didn't matter.It was very good and each day it got more moist.Next time I make this I will definitely make one day and not cut till the next day.We always have coffee on the porch every day with some kin folks and I got a lot of good compliments on it.Good part was it uses everything you already have in your pantry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.