What Did You Bake the Week of November 6, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of November 6, 2016?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

It's a new month, with weather cool enough for serious baking! Sunday morning I made a double batch of my wholegrain buttermilk waffles. Most of these were then wrapped and frozen for quick breakfasts. In the afternoon, I baked Semolina Rolls, a recipe that came from the KAF catalog years ago. I've not baked them in a long time, and I thought they would go well with the pot roast we were having for dinner. On Friday, I baked David Lee's Biscuits to go with leftover soup. After dinner, I mixed up a double recipe of my cheese-sourdough cracker dough and refrigerated it to bake next week. On Saturday, I baked three loaves of Grandma A's Ranch Hand Bread. I also made the KAF Ultra Thin Crust Pizza for dinner. Later, I baked Harvest Moons--large pumpkin-chocolate chip-oat cookies, from The Baking Sheet (Autumn 2004). Tomorrow each cookie will get a spice glaze, and I will add Autumn colored sprinkles. I first baked these in the early days of dating my now husband. I try to bake them every fall. I substituted in half white whole wheat flour this time.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt. Reason: added an item
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

I "baked" a Lemon Meringue Pie. I used a store-bought frozen pie shell. I used Jello Lemon Pie Filling and substituted 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice for part of the water. I made the meringue, so I "baked" this pie. Other than that, I mostly cooked.

Joan Simpson
        Participant

I baked brownies from Mennonite Girls Can Cook and they were very good and fudgy.Baked corn bread.Not much baking.

luvpyrpom
          Participant

Did a little bit more baking this week. Actually got out the bread machine to make copy cat King's hawaiian rolls my sister had asked me to try. I usually make the KAF's version but she wanted me to try this one recipe. It was so wet, I couldn't even form rolls, I ended up putting the batter in loaf pans and baked them that way. Also took out some beef curry puffs from freezer because I wanted to see how the puff pastry would react after being thawed and then refrozen. I also wanted to make my version of fruit cake - KAF orange cranberry nut cake except no nuts. It's the holiday season so I'm sure I'll be baking more these next couple of months.

skeptic7
            Participant

I did Election Cake this week, using the Recipe from Richard Sax, "Best Home Desserts". I started the sponge on Sunday, made up the batter on Monday night, and let it rise. It was a wet batter and I made it in a stand mixer. It was too thin to knead and definitely too thick to stir so I am glad I didn't have to do this by hand. By Tuesday morning it had risen to half the pan, but I didn't have time to bake it until Tuesday night and it had risen to the top. It was a very interesting cake and came election results, that I didn't want to keep the poor cake around.
              I also made some whole wheat bread on Sunday the 6th. Sugarless apple bread for a diabetic friend and currant orange for an martial arts practice.in two loaf pans. I am glad I didn't try a tube pan as it was easy to remove from the pan and easy to slice. I gave it away save for a couple of slices on Wednesday. I was so disappointed in the

BakerAunt
              Participant

Skeptic 7: Is this election cake similar to the recipe in the link I posted under "Make America Cake Again"? I had no time to try it last week, so I've put it off for another time. How did you like the taste and texture once it baked?

skeptic7
                Participant

Its that cake. I was surprised by the texture and taste but liked it well enough. It was softer than a batter bread and sweeter. Its not very much like anything else, it has a looser texture than a pound or butter cake, its denser than a sponge cake and with bigger holes. Its more moist and sweeter than a raisin bread. It has much of the same ingredients as a hot cross bun; currants and fruit peel and spices but the texture is its own. Its made in two bread loaf pans which was easier to deal with than a loaf plan. I didn't glaze or frost it as it was sweet enough in its own right.
                  I'd like to try this again, but mix the sponge part to develop the gluten before adding in butter and sugar and eggs.

My initial posting is a little disjointed as the quick breads inserted themselves into the middle of the election cake posting instead of being their own paragraph.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Thanks, Skeptic7. Your comments on the recipe are helpful. Do you think that the cake would freeze well?

skeptic7
                    Participant

I think it would freeze well. Sorry the reply is still incoherent I meant that the two loaf pans were simpler than a tube angel food type pan or a bundt pan. Me and Bundt pans don't get on well. I find it hard to pry the cake out, I prefer Tube cake pans with the removable bottoms and sloping sides.
                      I think I've made only a couple of other yeast raised cake recipes and they were more like bread then this recipe. I wonder if I did something wrong especially in not beating this more to strengthen the gluten or in not adding more flour.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

Thanks skeptic7. When I get around to baking the recipe, I'll post my results. I'm not sure that my husband would eat it, which is why I asked if it could be frozen. Possibly I would try making it in two small Bundt pans.

skeptic7
                        Participant

Here is the recipe I used, Richard Sax's from Best Home Deserts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.