What Did You Bake the Week of June 5, 2016?

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of June 5, 2016?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

On Tuesday, I baked two loaves of my version of Grape Nuts bread. I also baked a new recipe, "Chocolava Cookies," posted by Dachshundlady in her recipes on the Baking Circle. It called for egg whites, and I have some in a carton to use up. It made 14 large cookies, and they spread a bit into each other, so next time I will use two baking sheets rather than one. I used regular flour but will try KAF next time, since there was a little more spread than I would have liked. They taste like brownies. The family gave them a thumbs-up, and my stepdaughter left with the recipe.

I have posted the Chocolava recipe, since Laura asked for it.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Italiancook
      Participant

Banana Bread.

From "Martha Stewart's Cakes" I baked Vanilla Layer Cake. It was my second time baking it. The icing for it suggested in the cookbook is delicious, but I prefer chocolate icing on white and yellow cakes. So this time, I used lemon curd between the layers and didn't ice it. The problem was that the top layer slid off the bottom because of the slippery curd. I cut the cake into serving pieces and "flash froze" them before putting them in a freezer bag. Of course, when microwaved to thaw, the top will slide again. But it's a good cake that's quick to pull together.

Wonky, I didn't make the Raisin Bread. I cut my thumb and didn't want to put it in bread dough. Instead, I made Peanut Butter Cookies for a family with children. I didn't have to touch the dough. For the first time, I used a recipe that calls for Crisco, not butter. I disliked the dough. I don't think it had enough fat. Next time, I'll go back to my tried and true recipe that uses butter. But, the cookies tasted good, and the children will enjoy them.

BakerAunt
        Participant

Italian Cook: If you make a "dam" by piping frosting around the outside circumference of the layer, refrigerate briefly to harden, then put the lemon curd in the center, it will stay put. I learned about this technique when I made a lemon cake with lemon curd filling, and the wonderful people on the KAF Baking Circle told me about this method. I'm so glad that we now have this site, so that I don't lose all that wonderful advice and encouragement.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by BakerAunt.
          Italiancook
          Participant

BakerAunt, I didn't know about this technique. Thanks. I'll try that next time I want a lemon curd filling. As the top layer was slipping and sliding off the plate, I thought, "There has to be a trick to this." Now I know!

BakerAunt
            Participant

Hi, Italian Cook. I had saved the "Lemon Curd as a Filling" thread from the Baking Circle. After looking it over, I decided that there is enough information that other people might find it helpful, so I have posted it in the "threads saved from the KAF Baking Circle" section. It has a lot of good cake advice.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

I'm sure you know that Lemon Curd is a dangerous substance, you need to get rid of it as quickly as you can, I recommend getting rid of it with a spoon and a batch of scones! ๐Ÿ™‚

Italiancook
                Participant

Thanks, BakerAunt, for the lemon curd cake filling thread. As a result of your recommendation, I've ordered "The Perfect Cake." I want to make the lemon cake.

BakerAunt
                  Participant

Mike, or anyone else, can you recommend an excellent, plain scone that would be delicious with jam, as well as the leftover lemon curd in my refrigerator that is calling my name?

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Sorry, but my wife promised the caterer she got her scones recipe from years ago that she would not redistribute it. (I have a French Onion soup recipe I got from my French teacher with the same conditions, because that's the conditions under which she got it from a chef in France, she's only allowed to give it to her students.)

But search for buttermilk scones on the net, there may be similar recipes out there.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Mike Nolan.
                      cwcdesign
                      Participant

I have Paddy's recipe in one of my folders. I'll post it in the morning

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I understand, Mike.
                          Cwcdesign, I will look forward to the recipe when you have time.

In the meantime, I found a recipe for Sweet Barley Drop Scones, in Elizabeth Alston's Biscuits and Scones, so I shall bake it tomorrow morning. (I went a little crazy at the Bob's Red Mill free shipping offer about a month ago, so I have barley flour to use.)

cwcdesign
                          Participant

BakerAunt, I have posted the recipe under the title "The Best Scones by PaddyL" All notes and parenthetical notes are Paddy's. I have not yet made them, but had considered them for an event where I ended up using the Scone Nibbles from KAF because the recipe made so many more.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by cwcdesign.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.