What Did You Bake the Week of December 18, 2016?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What Did You Bake the Week of December 18, 2016?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Specialty markets or online stores might be your best choice for varietal honey, so much 'commercial' honey is aggregated so it can't be described as coming from a particular flower. About the only varietal I can find here other than clover honey is buckwheat honey, which is really dark and has a flavor I don't really care for.

Butter and brown sugar (or butter, white sugar and molasses) make true butterscotch, though many people call it caramel. (Caramel is made from white sugar.)

Glad to see you posting again, Cass.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I buy Breitsamer honey--a German brand that is carried at T.J. Maxx, Tuesday Morning, and Big Lots. Of course, they do not always have it all the time. We like their Golden Selection, and the Rapsblute Honey (rapeseed flowers) honey is my husband's particular favorite. The Acacia honey is very light, so it is good when you do not want too much honey flavor. My husband asked me not to buy the Forest Honey (too strong) or even the Meadow Flower honey.

I like to buy local honey when I can. That is harder to do in my part of Texas, hence resorting to the stores mentioned. In Indiana, there is a couple who have honey production and come to the local Farmer's Market in the summer. We liked theirs enough that I bought the biggest jar of it that I could before we left last summer. (Yes, it was gone within a month.) I've also bought blueberry flower honey at the local blueberry place, that was from Michigan. A friend gave us some Buckwheat Honey. I've not tried it yet.

My husband goes through honey fast. He likes it on pancakes and waffles, and he likes it on the oatmeal he eats almost every morning. I like baking with it, since as Cass has told us, using some keeps our baked goods fresher longer.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by BakerAunt.
      Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.