What are you Cooking the Week of October 15, 2023?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of October 15, 2023?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

My wife loves apple butter, most of the time I find it too heavily spiced. I think the batch I just made might be just enough milder for me to enjoy it.

BakerAunt
      Participant

Mike--How much headspace did you leave before canning?

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

A half inch, as recommended.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

BBQ sandwich and refrigerator pickles with a slice of pumpkin pie.

chocomouse
            Participant

Today I made a double batch of Duchess soup with ham and potatoes, to take on an extended trip. It filled 2 quart mason jars and will serve 4 of us for 2 meals, with onion-wild rice rolls that I made last week. I also had about a pint leftover, now in the refrigerator.

Diner was meatloaf, baked potato, and fresh green beans from the deck for my husband, so he will have meatloaf sandwiches while I am gone. I had tilapia with leftover roasted veggies and green beans.

Mike Nolan
              Keymaster

We had eye of round roast with mashed potatoes, gravy, and a salad.

BakerAunt
                Participant

For dinner on Wednesday, I made my healthier adaptation of my Mom's hamburger stroganoff, which we had over a mixture of brown and wild rice, along with what may be some of the last green beans from our garden.

Joan Simpson
                  Participant

No supper for me only cucumber salad, me and my best friend went thrift shopping today and had our favorite Waffle House breakfast for dinner.Had a great day!

Found some more great buys for me some winter type pull over sweaters then went shopping to a store and bought some more jeans and long sleeved shirts.I'm down 29 pounds yay me!

Joan Simpson
                    Participant

I had a ham and tomato sandwich, cucumber salad and pumpkin pie.

Mike Nolan
                      Keymaster

I've been in the mood for fried chicken for a few days, so we ordered from Lee's, Lincoln's oldest restaurant. Their onion straws were pretty good too.

I also ordered a piece of sour cream apple pie, it was a bit of a disappointment, so I took Diane to another restaurant and she got a piece of their sour cream raisin pie, which is really good and something I've not come close to duplicating.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

We had a late dinner on Friday of Salmon and Couscous with Penzey's Greek seasoning, along with a mixture of leftover peas and lima beans. Dinner was late because we went hiking at the Indiana Dunes State and National Parks, then stopped by Best Buy to consult with the elder son on a new laptop. He deemed the selection inadequate, so we ended up ordering one from Costco, which will come next week. He will help set it up for us before he leaves. We will still use the old laptop, but now we can both be on the computer at the same time. In the store, my husband and I felt like the Beverly Hillbillies. So much has changed since we bought this laptop ten years ago.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I figure I'm doing good if I can get 3 years from a laptop, but I do use it for 6 or more hours most days.

BakerAunt
                            Participant

Our ten-year-old model is a Toshiba, and it has been a good little workhorse. Between the two of us, it has gotten a lot of use. We did have to replace the hard drive once, but other than that, it has been excellent. However, it will not run the new version of Windows, and at some point, the version on the Toshiba will become unsupported. I also want a separate keyboard, as typing on a laptop has always been an issue for me, since I know how to type. My husband does not, so the laptop keyboard does not bother him.

Joan Simpson
                              Participant

I went out this afternoon with friends to a Mexican restaurant, enjoyed it and the friends more.

BakerAunt
                                Participant

I made split pea soup for dinner on Saturday, using a meaty ham bone from the freezer. You know that autumn has cooled considerably when the pea soup recipe appears! We had it with the Pumpkin Soda Bread I baked in the early afternoon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.