What are you Cooking the Week of July 28, 2024?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are you Cooking the Week of July 28, 2024?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I made and canned another batch of blackberry jam on Wednesday afternoon. I had intended to do it in the morning, but a rainstorm caused a delay.

For dinner, I used a pound of green beans from our garden to make our favorite summer salad with cherry tomatoes (from the farmers market, as ours are not yet ready), black-eyed peas, green onion, halved black olives, a wonderful dressing, and sprinkled over individual servings, crumbled feta and toasted almonds. This salad will be on our menu for as long as we have green beans. We had it with ham sandwiches.

chocomouse
      Participant

Dinner tonight was grilled (during a thunderstorm) was grilled salmon, corn on the cob grilled in the husks, and a tossed salad.

Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

We had tacos/taco salad and some cantaloupe.

A storm blew through Lincoln this evening, with sustained wind in the 50's and gusts as high as 83 by the airport. Other than a lot of leaves and twigs down, we don't appear to have had any damage here, but there are trees down all over town and plenty of roof damage.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

That sounds like a big storm Mike.Glad you had no damage.

I repeated the rotisserie chicken , potato salad and coleslaw.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

We had an appointment this morning and drove across town, lots of branches down and quite a few trees snapped off. Some traffic lights still not working. Lincoln's well field on the Platte lost power, but is 3/4 restored already, though they're asking people not to water their lawns until Saturday. We only got 1/4 inch of rain, but the high heat is gone, at least for a day, so we shouldn't need to water anything.

Omaha got hit harder than we did, still thousands without power there.

BakerAunt
              Participant

I'm glad you and Diane are safe, Mike. My husband reports that in the week since he was at his larger woodlands, a cottonwood tree across the road came down. It was already cleared away, with a new utility pole replacing the one it took out. It also broke some of our fence. I am happy that it did not hit the black raspberry patch, as I want more berries next year!

Thursday was a busy cooking day. I made yogurt. I made another frittata for lunch. I made and canned the final batch of blackberry jam. For dinner, I roasted bone-in chicken breasts, which we had with the rest of the green bean, tomato, and feta salad I made yesterday.

Thanks to Mike for suggesting checking the canning lids. I found three defective ones--the inner sealing part. These came with the jars. I threw two away. One had slight damage around the edge, but not enough to prevent sealing, so I tried it on a small jar and it sealed. Ball needs to do better quality control.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

I bought some inexpensive canning lids on Amazon that probably came from China, so far I've had pretty good luck with them. I wouldn't be surprised if Ball's aren't made in the USA anymore, though.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

I made a pizza tonight using the King Arthur Keto Wheat Baking Flour. A 30 gram 'serving' of that flour is 8 carbs, 4 net carbs. By comparison regular AP flour is 23 carbs in a 30 gram serving.

It was pretty good, not sure I would have known it was keto-friendly. I cut it into 8 slices, each slice was 12 carbs for the crust (8 net) and 4 carbs for the toppings. It came out fairly thin (that's good, we like thin-crust pizza) with a pretty good mouth feel. Next time I might let it rise a bit longer, though.

It didn't want to stretch or roll into a 12 inch circle as the recipe suggested, it came out a bit more rectangular.

Toppings were tomato sauce, sliced tomato, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, Genoa salami, mozzarella cheese, cream cheese and some Parmesan.

IMG_1001

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    Joan Simpson
                    Participant

Your Pizza looks great Mike!

Tonight I'm having a premade salad I picked up at Target hope it's good.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I made green beans, cherry tomato, and feta salad again on Friday. We also had ham sandwiches. I forgot to thaw the black-eyed peas for the salad, but my oven was warm from baking, so I moved them to a dish and let them thaw that way. I also forgot to thaw the buns for the sandwiches, but I set them on the counter, then moved them to the still warm oven to finish thawing.

Mike Nolan
                        Keymaster

We had burgers on the grill (I had an Aldi keto bun with mine, Diane did not), the toppings included one of the first full-sized tomatoes from our garden.

I also had a small salad and she had the last of the cantaloupe.

BakerAunt
                          Participant

Saturday night's dinner was easy: leftover roasted chicken breast, leftover green bean salad, and an ear of sweet corn each--the first for us this season--which we bought at this morning's farmers market.

Joan Simpson
                            Participant

Tonight I had a BBQ sandwich and dill pickles.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.