What are You Cooking the Week of July 23, 2017?

Home Forums Cooking — (other than baking) What are You Cooking the Week of July 23, 2017?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

We will be eating leftovers for the next few days, but for those of you making Sunday dinner, here is the thread for this week.

Spread the word
      Italiancook
      Participant

I baked rainbow trout and made cucumber/tomato salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar. I also made yellow rice.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make yellow rice like the kind that was sold in stores before the formula changed to give it a spicy heat. I used saffron and ended up with beautiful yellow rice that had no flavor. It occurred to me that manufacturers can't afford to make the rice yellow via saffron. So I plan on buying turmeric and seeing if that will give me color and flavor.

The first time I tried this, I put finely chopped onions in the rice cooker with saffron and rice. I didn't like the odor that it left in the cooker. But leaving the lid open for a few hours eliminated that. Nevertheless, I'm going to check online to see what spices are in yellow rice. I imagine the package only says, "spices."

• This reply was modified 6 years, 9 months ago by Italiancook.
        Mike Nolan
        Keymaster

I don't recall where I read it, but I've seen references saying that powdered turmeric loses most of its flavor quickly. It will still add color, but not much flavor.

Rascals1
          Participant

Since so many vegetables are fresh right now I fixed Ratatouille and a lettuce salad. Of course good fresh rolls to go with it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

Our trailer arrived on Tuesday morning, and we have been unloading it these past two days. A casual dinner was definitely in order, so I made Sloppy Josephines, using the Wheat-Oat Flax Buns I baked.

navlys
              Participant

I made pork tenderloin bulgogi with the jar of bulgogi sauce I purchased at a Korean market. I served it with a vinegary thinly sliced cucumber and apple salad which was the perfect accompaniment since the bulgogi sauce was a bit hot.

Mike Nolan
                Keymaster

My son brought his Anova circulation heater with him, so we're going to be playing around with some sous vide cooking over the next few days, we bought scallops, flank steak and tri-tip for proteins, and he's going to do some peaches in brandy tonight.

Mike Nolan
                  Keymaster

Last night's peaches were delicious, especially with a bit of ice cream. My son chose to leave the peach skins on, I think I would have peeled them as I find peach fuzz a bit chewy.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

Tonight we made sous vide flank steak. I can see where one issue I would have with a circulation heater is finding the appropriate level of doneness for beef, my wife doesn't care for rare/medium rare beef. (A second issue is that it's considerably more work when cooking for just two.)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.