What are you Baking the Week of September 24, 2023?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of September 24, 2023?

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

If you want thicker pumpkin/sweet potato pie filling, add another egg yolk. You can add the egg white or not, it doesn't seem to matter much.

BakerAunt
      Participant

I should add that I also pre-cook the filling (without the eggs) on the stove top, which likely reduces some of the liquid. I then whisk an egg into a small amount of the hot mixture in a small bowl before whisking it into the rest of the filling, then whisking in each additional egg.

A lot probably depends on your recipe.

aaronatthedoublef
        Participant

BA - where do you buy first clear flour?

BakerAunt
          Participant

Aaron--I bought this bag earlier this year from King Arthur. It's a key ingredient in one of their rye bread recipes that I like a lot.

I was not impressed with the potato flour substitution in the Chewy Rye Semolina, so I will go back to 2 Tbs. of First Clear Flour in place of the whole grain improver to see if my impression of the difference is accurate. The texture seemed a bit less chewy and the bread slightly drier, and it had a slight depression in the center, although the latter could be from the slashing.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

I baked my pumpkin pie today. I did add another egg, it turned out well. I had some extra filling I baked in custard cups ,taste good.

chocomouse
              Participant

I often use First Clear (also purchased at KAF) in my rye breads. I replace some or all of the rye with it. I do like the results. But then, I rarely dislike any rye, unless it is gummy.

BakerAunt
                Participant

Chocomouse--Did you mean that you replace all or some of the AP flour with first clear??

I baked my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers on Friday evening.

I then made up the dough for cinnamon rolls, using Mike's idea about mixing some oil with the filling. I will bake them for breakfast tomorrow.

aaronatthedoublef
                  Participant

Thanks. I have a bag of first clear from King Arthur but it is too expensive for more than the occasional loaf of bread. And BA and Choco, you're right about rye. I've made my deli rye with all bread and with bread/first clear and to come close to what I remember from my youth in Chicago I have to use first clear.

I'll keep looking for another source.

Mike Nolan
                    Keymaster

I bought a 50 pound bag of first clear flour from Stover & Company when I was in Pittsburgh a few years ago, I did a lot of test baking with it. One of the odder results was that breads made with first clear flour seemed to spoil faster than the same recipe made with AP or bread flour.

chocomouse
                      Participant

BakerAunt -- I replace some or most of the AP or Rye or Pumpernickel flour with First Clear. I rarely follow a rye recipe exactly - I just grab whatever comes to mind off my pantry shelf. I also don't measure exactly, and usually need to adjust either the liquid or the flour as it is mixing in my bread machine. I never use just a tablespoon or so, it's usually about a cup. I was surprised to see that you would be using only 2 tablespoons! I have a loaf in the abm right now, based loosely on the KAF Caraway Rye recipe. I almost always use pickle juice (not today, it's all in the recently canned jars of pickles!) and onion, caraway seeds, dill seeds, mustard seeds.

Joan Simpson
                        Participant

Today I baked another pumpkin pie and had about 3/4 cup left of puree so I upped the ingredients just a little and another egg and divided the pumpkin in two pie shells and they baked up really nice.Gave one to one of the friends we visit and kept one.I also made the pie crusts and got 5 pie crusts that were 7.2 oz. each

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.