What are you baking the week of May 6, 2018

Home Forums Baking โ€” Breads and Rolls What are you baking the week of May 6, 2018

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joan Simpson
    Participant

That coffee cake looks good BakerAunt!

BakerAunt
      Participant

Joan--the only issue is that the topping tends to get overly browned during the long baking time. I'm wondering about waiting 20-30 minutes and then putting it on top. Or maybe I should put half the topping on, then half-way through add the other half.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
        BakerAunt
        Participant

On a very windy Friday, I'm baking a double recipe of Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers from the dough that I made on Monday.

Baking my own crackers has spoiled me. We were at friends' house for dinner, and she served Wheat Thins with guacamole before dinner. I was amazed at how sweet the Wheat Thins tasted to me--and not in a good way. I used to like eating Wheat Thins, but now I would not buy them.

I would like some additional cracker recipes. I have a rye one that I like. The Swedish Christmas Crispbread is good, but it is higher in fat than I would like. I've not been able to bake an oat cracker that isn't rubbery.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
          wonky
          Participant

BakerAunt...I love your sub's for the coffee cake. Looked at the recipe, and anything
            with sour cream, or of course cream cheese catches's my eye. I have taken to adding flax meal to so many things I make, that it is almost automatic. I add it to bars, cakes, bread of course, oatmeal, meat loaf and so on. It is considered a a super food, and is so easy to incorporate into other foods. I don't make any other changes to the recipe when adding it, like increasing the liquids etc. I also love anything "almond", so this is one I will have to try.

Tomorrow, will make the WW bread for the day care, and I am not sure what else. I never make just one batch of bread. I always think if I'm making a mess in my kitchen, I might as well make several different kinds, and make even a bigger mess.

Kudos to you for making a bread that turned out so well using spelt flour. As was discussed on the BC, I did not have good luck with it.

BakerAunt
            Participant

One additional note on that cherry cake: the topping softens up nicely the next day. So, it does work to have it on for the entire hour of baking. Just wait a day to serve the cake. It has stayed nicely moist.

I should also mention that I bake it in a 10x10 inch ceramic dish that came from KAF.

Wonky--I didn't realize that you are also a member of the Order of the Flax Meal!

RiversideLen
              Participant

I made sandwich buns today. Unfortunately I dropped one of them when I was removing it from the pan ๐Ÿ™

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.