What are you Baking the week of May 13, 2018

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the week of May 13, 2018

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

Here's a thread for the week's baking.

Spread the word
      BakerAunt
      Participant

Monday afternoon I baked Espresso & Kahlua Brownie Chip Cookies--a recipe on this site that was posted by Lorraine on the Old Baking Circle, then re-posted on the new KAF Baking Circle by Karen Noll. I posted it here.

It made 14 large cookies. (I used the Zeroll #13 scoop, which KAF sells as a "quarter cup" scoop. I used semisweet Ghirardelli Chocolate squares. I used Mexican vanilla, since I have it. I was able to use Guittard dark chocolate chips that are the regular size. I baked the two trays of cookies individually for 19 minutes.

wonky
        Participant

I baked 3 loaves of WW bread for the day care, 2 loaves of my special white bread, and 14 braided dinner rolls.

Joan Simpson
          Participant

Today I baked Six Grain Bread from KAF .Looks great will let you know in the a.m. how it tastes.

Joan Simpson
            Participant

The six grain bread was very good,it cut nicely didn't make a lot of crumbs.I shared my loaf with some of our kin down the road so I can make more quicker.

RiversideLen
              Participant

Today I made Maple Cookie dough, portioned and in the freezer now.

Also made a half dozen baked doughnuts. I used some whole wheat and oat flour (1/2 total) and topped them with chocolate frosting and coconut. They came out just a little dry, maybe I should have removed them from the oven a minute earlier. But they're still good.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I haven't baked since Monday, so it was time to get back into the kitchen on Friday.

I shelled pecans in the morning and made a batch of my Cherry Granola (recipe on this site). I eat it occasionally for breakfast, but my husband has developed a habit of snacking on it, so I am making it much more often than I once did.

I'm also in the process of baking Glazed Cheesecake Rolls, a recipe from Pillsbury cook-booklet #37, "Breads, Breads, & More Breads," which I've had for at least thirty years. I re-worked the recipe a few years ago. This time, I substituted in 1 1/4 Cup white whole wheat flour, used 1/2 cup buttermilk in place of some of the water, added 2 Tbs. flax meal, added 1/4 Cup Bakers Special Dried Milk, and replaced 1 Tbs. of the sugar with 1 Tbs. of honey. Instead of 2 1/4 tsp. yeast, I used 1 tsp. regular yeast and 1 tsp. special Gold yeast.

It is on its first rise. After that, shape it into 16 balls and allow to rise again. The recipe then calls for using a thumb to make a 1 1/2 inch indentation in the center. A Tbs. of cheesecake filling is then put in before baking.

That will, of course, deflate the rolls a bit, so I'm thinking that I will not allow a full second rise. Also, it is difficult to get a symmetrical hole with a thumb. I'm thinking of using the bottom of a small juice glass. Any thoughts about that? I think the idea is similar to kolaches, so I looked at a couple of those recipes. Some make the indentation and add the filling before the second rise, while some do it afterwards, as does this recipe.

Any suggestions?

These Glazed Cheesecake Rolls are to for a celebratory breakfast very early tomorrow as I watch the wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. When I watched Prince William and Katherine's wedding seven years ago, I tried making crumpets that did not come out so well. I decided this year that since Meghan is an American--and she and Harry have ditched what a friend who lives in England calls those truly awful wedding cakes of fruit cake and fondant in favor of a civilized American wedding cake--that I would do likewise with breakfast!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by BakerAunt.
                  BakerAunt
                  Participant

I ended up using both hands to pull back the sides around the center, after the second rise, for the filling. That worked well, and they are still light and had good oven spring. My husband and I each had one of the Glazed Cheesecake Rolls for dessert. I'm looking forward to having them for breakfast early tomorrow morning.

One other note: I used the Zeroll 40 (Tablespoon) scoop to apportion the cheesecake filling. I used the Zeroll 100 (teaspoon) scoop to apportion the frosting. That helped a lot with dividing it evenly among the sixteen rolls.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.