What are you Baking the Week of June 16, 2024?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are you Baking the Week of June 16, 2024?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mike Nolan
    Keymaster

No baking for me today, I did the cake yesterday but today it's supposed to hit 97.

Spread the word
      RiversideLen
      Participant

All I have is a loaf of store bought wheat bread (365 from Whole Foods, not bad) but I think I want a burger for dinner, so I'm making a batch of burger/sandwich buns.

BakerAunt
        Participant

As we still have a lot of frozen blueberries from last year's picking, I made blueberry cobbler on Monday for dessert. I baked it in the countertop oven so as not to heat up the house. I have now cut the sugar from 1 ½ to 1 cup in this King Arthur recipe. Perhaps the developer did not have as sweet blueberries as we are able to pick locally. The topping was a bit runny this time. Next time I will cut back the water a bit, especially when using frozen blueberries.

chocomouse
          Participant

I had to make something for my husband to take to a potluck tonight. Luckily, I had about 2 dozen "Cowboy Cookies" in the freezer -- scooped and frozen, ready to bake. It took me about 45 minutes in the countertop oven. It was 98* here at the time, and I have avoided cooking or baking anything. We have one more day of upper 90s (the 3rd day in a row) and temps should be lower after that.

Mike Nolan
            Keymaster

Victoria's Keto Kitchen has a recipe for keto-friendly 'Bisquick' mix, so I tried making some and then made biscuits with it. Took a bit more liquid than with real Bisquick, and they baked faster (9 minutes vs 12) but they're pretty good. I had one with some butter on it, tasted pretty much like a cream biscuit.

We had them with creamed tuna for supper.

Joan Simpson
              Participant

I baked a Cheesecake to take to the poker game tomorrow night.

IMG_0884

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                BakerAunt
                Participant

I needed to bake bread on Wednesday, as we used up the rest of it. My husband was trying to be conservative with it, but I pointed out that with the heat and humidity, it was starting to mold. As it is still very hot, I decided to make a 9 x 9-inch pan of rolls in the convection oven. I baked the Honey Oatmeal Rolls, a King Arthur recipe, but with changes. I replaced 2 cups of the AP flour with white whole wheat and the AP flour with bread flour. I replaced the milk with buttermilk and increased it from 1/3 to ½ cup. I added 2 Tbs. each of flax meal and special dry milk. I reduced the salt by a third and reduced the yeast from 2 ¼ to 2 tsp. The rolls were done in 28 minutes.

chocomouse
                  Participant

Perfect cheesecake, Joan! Not a crack in the top. I'm sure it will taste as good as it looks.

skeptic7
                    Participant

Its been horribly hot here too. I managed to bake a batch of scones yesterday by starting at 7:00 am, but wasn't up early enough to repeat that performance today. I'll try getting up early tomorrow. I'm still staying with my father so don't have all my appliances. I found baking in a slow cooker works well in hot weather especially since I would have it cooking unattended in the kitchen while I hid in the basement. I was doing all whole wheat then so didn't worry about it not browning.
                      Does anyone have experience with fast yeast breads? A King Arthur ad boasted of fast foccaccio, that was mixed and baked in record time. The closest I've had is with batter yeast breads that only really had two risings before baking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.