What are You Baking the Week of July 29, 2018?

Home Forums Baking — Breads and Rolls What are You Baking the Week of July 29, 2018?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BakerAunt
    Participant

I had planned to bake this evening, but it is too late for the planned project, so I'll bake it tomorrow. If any of you have baked today, here is this week's thread.

Spread the word
      • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
      BakerAunt
      Participant

For breakfast on Monday morning, I made Wholegrain Waffles.

I baked another experimental whole grain loaf. It had a bit of sinking, but overall, it looks and smells good. I’ll know for certain when I cut into it tomorrow.

Last but not least, I baked Bob’s Delicious Chocolate Chip Muesli Cookies.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by BakerAunt.
        navlys
        Participant

I baked blueberry pie squares for a party. (Averie cooks) I should have read whole recipe ahead of time as it said the squares are best made a day ahead to set up. I made them morning of. Anyway I did chill them over ice initially to protect my refrigerator and then in fridge. I cut them into squares and placed them in cupcake liners. Sweet but very good.

BakerAunt
          Participant

Navlys--KAF also has a great blueberry pie squares recipe. However, it makes a large sheet pan, so it's good to have a crowd to help you eat them!

BakerAunt
            Participant

On Tuesday evening, I experimented with the KAF recipe, “Cranberry Orange Rolls.” I made it once a couple of years ago with cranberry-orange sauce as the filling and liked it. I have about 1/2 Cup of blueberry pie filling left over from canning, and I needed a recipe to use it up, so I decided to experiment to see how the filling would work with this dough. I substituted in 2/3 Cup whole wheat flour, added 2 Tbs. flax meal, used buttermilk in place of the orange juice, and deleted the Fiori de Sicilia. I used the bread machine to mix and knead the dough, but I let it rise, as always, in a greased bowl. I actually own the 9-inch square ceramic baker that was featured in the catalog with the recipe, so I baked the rolls in it. I will add the glaze/frosting to the cooled rolls tomorrow.

Note: The dough recipe is great. The sweet rolls could have used some additional filling, but they are tasty and were a hit at breakfast.

BakerAunt
              Participant

This Wednesday evening, I'm baking a blueberry pie.

BakerAunt
                Participant

I baked my variation of Ellen's (once Moomie) Famous Buns on Thursday afternoon. My husband will grill hamburgers this evening. I made the recipe as ten buns, rather than eight, which are large enough for us. I usually use this recipe for rolls when we are traveling, so I look forward to sampling them with hamburgers. Added Note: I really like the softness of these buns with hamburgers.

I'm very pleased with my blueberry pie. I have started using all butter in my buttermilk crust rather than using Crisco and adding 2 Tbs. sugar to the crust for a fruit pie. Instead of brushing the crust with beaten egg, I've been brushing it with heavy cream. That gives the crust a lovely golden color, and it also seems to help with flakiness.

chocomouse
                  Participant

I spent a week in Maine and came home eager to get back in the kitchen. I made a loaf of sandwich bread using KAF's Harvest Grains; a batch of oatmeal cookies with coconut, walnuts, chocolate chips, and craisins; and today I made a blueberry "cake" that is more like a cheesecake than a flour cake, although a pretty bad cheesecake. I got the recipe out of the local newspaper about 30 years ago, but I see now that the recipe is in KAF's recipes, called "Berries and Cream Cake". It is very good, quick and easy to make, and uses up two quarts of berries. I'm going to try it with raspberries when our fall crop is ripe.

RiversideLen
                    Participant

I haven't baked much of anything in about a month or so. I want a hamburger for dinner so I'm making burger buns right now. They should be oven reading in about 15 minutes.

BakerAunt
                      Participant

I found a not overly sweet zucchini muffin recipe, “Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Thyme,” in a cookbook, Herbs Love Tomatoes, Pepper, Onions and Zucchini, by Ruth Bass (p. 169). KAF recently featured a lemon-zucchini muffin recipe as well. I compared the two, and overall quantity of ingredients were about the same although ingredients varied. In addition to using lemon zest, the KAF recipe used regular milk rather than buttermilk, granulated rather than brown sugar, more baking powder. 4x the salt (!), slightly less oil, no ginger, and no lemon thyme.

After reading the reviews of the KAF recipe, I used Bass’s recipe as my base. I substituted half whole wheat flour, reduced the oil from ½ to 1/3 cup. I do not have lemon thyme. I considered using lemon extract, but I decided not to do so and to delete the ginger. I added ½ cup of KAF cinnamon chips from my stash (KAF sells something different now.). I baked these as six large muffins, in part because I realized that my regular muffin pans have yet to be unpacked. I sprinkled them with demerara sugar. I had used THE grease on the pan, and they popped out just fine. They are a bit flat on the top. Next time, I will add ¼ tsp. baking soda to offset the buttermilk; I'll leave the baking powder as is.

I baked these for a quick grab-and-go breakfast for tomorrow, as my husband and younger stepson need to leave here at 6 a.m. in order to drive to Michigan City, so my stepson can take the bus to the airport. He can also take one to have as a snack while he is waiting for his plane. If the taste is good--as the aroma promises--I will bake another batch tomorrow and freeze some, since I have leftover grated zucchini.

Next Morning Tasting Note: The muffins are very good, although slightly dense. I'll try another batch with added baking soda.

BakerAunt
                        Participant

I fed my sourdough on Saturday, and I made up the dough for another batch of my Whole Wheat Sourdough Cheese Crackers. Between my husband and my stepson, the last batch rapidly disappeared. The dough will need to sit in the refrigerator until Wednesday or Thursday.

Mike Nolan
                          Keymaster

I made honey wheat bread Saturday.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.